Join now - be part of our community!

how to use the 2nd graphic card

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_BE.title
HaJaFs
New

how to use the 2nd graphic card

My Vaio SVS1512V1ES has 2 graphic cards. I do not find how to use the nvidia geforce card instead of the intel hd 4000 card.  Can someone explain how I can force my notebook to always use the nvidia geforce graphic card.

My Vaio uses windows 8

Both graphic cards are activated, but the intel hd 4000 is used. I don't know if I may de-activate the intel hd 4000, will the notebook automatically switch to the other graphic card, or do I have to do some things before de-activating ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi HajaFs,

Your model should have a Stamina/Speed switch above the keyboard on the left hand side. To use the Nvidia graphics follow these instructions.

On models with the Dynamic Hybrid Graphics System (models with both the Intel HD Graphics and the NVIDIA Graphics)

When you set the performance selector switch to SPEED, the graphics accelerator automatically changes to the optimum one, depending on the app(s) you use.

You can also manually select the graphics accelerator you want to use for a specific app by following these steps. This setting is not available for some apps.

1.    Make sure the performance selector switch is set to SPEED.
2.    Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
3.    Select Manage 3D settings in Select a Task.
4.    Select your desired app from the Select a program to customize drop-down list on the Program settings tab.
5.    Select the graphics accelerator from the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program drop-down list.
6.    Select Apply.

Note
•    While the app(s) is running, the graphics accelerator does not change even if you change the graphics/performance settings with the performance selector switch. To change the settings, close and restart the running app(s).
•    When you use the 3D app to display 3D images, select the Intel HD Graphics (Integrated graphics).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi HajaFs,

Your model should have a Stamina/Speed switch above the keyboard on the left hand side. To use the Nvidia graphics follow these instructions.

On models with the Dynamic Hybrid Graphics System (models with both the Intel HD Graphics and the NVIDIA Graphics)

When you set the performance selector switch to SPEED, the graphics accelerator automatically changes to the optimum one, depending on the app(s) you use.

You can also manually select the graphics accelerator you want to use for a specific app by following these steps. This setting is not available for some apps.

1.    Make sure the performance selector switch is set to SPEED.
2.    Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
3.    Select Manage 3D settings in Select a Task.
4.    Select your desired app from the Select a program to customize drop-down list on the Program settings tab.
5.    Select the graphics accelerator from the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program drop-down list.
6.    Select Apply.

Note
•    While the app(s) is running, the graphics accelerator does not change even if you change the graphics/performance settings with the performance selector switch. To change the settings, close and restart the running app(s).
•    When you use the 3D app to display 3D images, select the Intel HD Graphics (Integrated graphics).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat