Join now - be part of our community!

I want my laptop back and an explanation ASAP

rickycosgrove
Visitor

I want my laptop back and an explanation ASAP

RE: Sony laptop sent back for repair (Case Number: 2303903)

To Whom It May Concern:

Some Background Information:
Around the 21st of December 2006 I purchased a Sony Vaio Laptop C series (VGN-C2Z I think that’s the model number). After a day I noticed a problem with the laptop (the right mouse button on the laptop wasn’t working) and brought the laptop back to where I had purchased it (Sony Store, O Connell St. Limerick, ROI). They gave me a number to contact the repair centre, saying that was all they could do for me. I then contacted the repair centre (early January 2007) they advised me that all I could do was send it back to them which takes 3-5 working days but may be longer. I refused this option as I needed the laptop for work and found a way around the problem by plugging in an external mouse. Since the purchased the laptop a new problem seem to go wrong every couple of weeks, from the speakers not working to USB ports not working – until eventually the hard drive gave way.

Sent It Back For Repairs:
I sent my laptop back to 5-6 weeks ago I don’t have the exact date but I believe it to be either June 21st 2007 or June 28th 2007. Again I was reassured that the turn around are within 3-5 working days.

July 10th/11th (not sure which day)
I ring for an update on my laptop and get told that the mother board has been replaced but the laptop still isn’t working and that an engineer has to see it. I also get advised to push for a new laptop if I haven’t gotten my laptop back by the end of the week.

July 13th
I call to update my delivery address and I ask for a status report – I am waiting for over an hour to get through. The agent assures me he will call me back with an update. He never called me back and I have since found out that he never logged the call.

July 17th
I make another call inquiring about an update and explain that I called Friday and nobody ever got back to me. The lady I talk to apologizes and tells me she will get on this and call me straight back. Again she never called me back and I’ve since found out the call was never logged.

July 19th
I still haven’t received a call back and call again. The first thing I do this time is to ask for the agents’ name. His name is Fabien and he assures me I don’t need to know his second name as everyone there knows him. This call lasts about 20 minutes and I tell him I’m sick of people telling me they’ll call me back and they don’t. I am not happy that it has been nearly a month. I ask to talk to a manager he declines my request. I ask what steps I can take as this matter is unacceptable – he tells me there is none and be patient. He advises me that they (SONY) are still waiting for an engineer to look at my laptop and he will call me back. He still has not called me back but at least he logged the call.

July 30th (Today)
I called again and this time I was talking to Stuart. I asked to speak to Fabien and he would not put me on to him. I again asked to speak to a manager and was told no. Again I got the same 3 comments that I’ve gotten every time I call:

1. Sorry sir there is no record of your calls (apart from Fabiens),
2. We are waiting for a sony technician/engineer to inspect your laptop
3. We will call you back.

This time Stuart did call me back. He told me they are still waiting for an engineer and that’s all he could do. He was extremely rude to me but eventually gave me this e-mail address. This is my last reach out to Sony Vaio, thereafter I will take the matter legal. The two options that I am aware of are:
1. Consult with a solicitor,
2. Bring Sony to small claims court,

I have also been advised to go to local radio stations and newspapers with this,

If someone from Sony were to walk up to me today, laptop in hand I will now no longer accept that. From Sony I need a clear explanation and apology for this whole matter as well as compensation for the phone calls I’ve made to Sony which are now quite considerable. Finally and most obviously I want either my laptop back repaired or a new laptop ASAP.

Below I have quoted the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 which you are in breach of. I should also advice that I now am aware that my contract is with the retailer 1st and the manufacturer 2nd. I find the fact that the only option made to me by the Sony Store was to send my laptop back after 1 day a sham and is also clearly in breach of the below.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

of merchantable quality
fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.

You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as 'No Refunds' or 'No Exchanges'. Such notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act see Retailers' responses.

You have no rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you simply change your mind about wanting the goods. You also have no rights if faults are due to misuse of the product after purchase, or if faults should have been obvious or were pointed out at the time of purchase.

The person who purchased the goods holds the rights under the Act. If you receive the goods as a gift, you have no contract with the retailer and don't have the same rights. In practice, most retailers will oblige the user of the goods but this is a gesture of goodwill, not a legal requirement.

Your rights under the Act also apply to goods purchased at sale prices. They must be of merchantable quality, fit for their particular purpose and as described. If goods are being sold as seconds or shop-soiled, however, you cannot expect the same standard.

Second-hand goods

These must also be of merchantable quality but the standards are lower. If you buy something through a private sale, your rights are greatly diminished. Goods do not have to be of merchantable quality, they merely have to be owned by the seller and fit their description. It is up to you to check out the goods before buying.

Services are also covered by the Act. There is a contract between the supplier of a service and the consumer who pays for the service. You are entitled to expect that the supplier:

has the necessary skill to provide the service
provides the service with proper care and diligence
uses sound materials and supplies goods of merchantable quality.
If the service you receive is unsatisfactory in any of these ways, you may be entitled to a remedy or compensation to make up for the difference in value between the service that should have been provided and what was actually provided.

Consumer rights do not always apply in relation to unsatisfactory services. The supplier of the service may limit his responsibility in some way, for example, through an exclusion clause. However, a clause of this kind is only valid if it is specifically brought to the consumer's attention and only if it is fair and reasonable.

Regards,
Ricky Cosgrove

136 REPLIES 136
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks Ricky, it's nice to see someone around here with a bit of brain and not attacking me because I try to help someone who's obviously been ignored by Sony's support team.

Oh, and if they want to complain about me, do it to my face. Call my number, send me an email, just don't go behind my back complaining about me, it's rude and unprofessional!

I really expected more from Tweedy2b than to air this in public, but as he has then I'm free to defend myself and will do. I take complaints that I'm insighting abuse seriously and I find it objectable that he'd think asking a customer to go to a free legal advice bureau is wrong when he's tried time and time again to get some sort of response from Sony. In essence when Tweedy says I'm promoting agressive behaviour it's as good as abuse, and I don't think asking nicely to speak to a supervisor is wrong or unlawful, or taking the case to a legal system is either.

I've always tried to be non-biased, offer the alternative and be non promotional of companies like Mircosoft, Symantec or Adobe. I pride myself on being able to offer support that can save you time and money, but obviously tweedy has this obsession with me being rude to people, so excuse me, but I don't see why I should help his support team if they won't help others in return, it's only fair. After all we're not paid, the electricity doesn't grow on trees and I'd like a pleasant atmosphere to do this in, but no.

Oh well, their loss.

Disapoints me that no one has called you, specially as it's top priority :slight_frown:

Take care Ricky, and all the very best with fixing this.

I'm out - peace

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Ricky - bear with them they have reported back that they will contact you.
Nico has promised :wink:

rickycosgrove
Visitor

Within an hour of my last post I received a call from Caroline in Sony-Vaio offering to help me.

She apologised - then said they would be sending a new laptop out to me. They adviced that they no longer had my model but would send me a similar one of a higher spec and would call me back hopefully by 6pm today.

At least this is finally getting somewhere and I thank all for your help. I will post an update when it happens

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

:wink: :slight_smile:

rickycosgrove
Visitor

Just to give an update to all.

Sony called me twice more since my last post. Once to confirm they have the laptop in stock and once to ask me where i would like it to be sent. They said they will call again tomorrow to confirm the delivery date of the new machine.

Things look on track but I still won't hold my breath just yet.

I would however like to thank all that took time to reply and all the help they've offered and given me. While the repair desk and customer service sucked for 6 weeks - at least their forum was of good use.

A big thanks again to all and I will post confirmation if and when I receive this with any comments or compensation from sony

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would however like to thank all that took time to reply and all the help they've offered and given me. While the repair desk and customer service sucked for 6 weeks - at least their forum was of good use.

A big thanks again to all and I will post confirmation if and when I receive this with any comments or compensation from sony

No problem, I would do it all over again, I am glad you finally got some sort of solution. Shame Nico can't be so honest, this place doesn't even deserve to have 1 dedicated user nevermind 3.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Erm, cough cough, it was my pleasure :slight_smile:

rickycosgrove
Visitor

Just another note to this guys....

Caroline called again on Friday and it seems now that it will be the end of next week at the earliest b4 I get that laptop.

Happy to be getting somewhere - but still not happy how slow the whole process is.

I will post again when I receive the laptop and any written apology/explanation I receive.

Thanks again to the three of you who replied

rickycosgrove
Visitor

For the record it has been an additional 6 working days since Caroline first made contact apologising for the delay and telling me I'd be getting a new laptop.

While I believe she has been as helpful and professional as she can - this is still ridiculously slow process. It's not 2 months and counting since I last saw my laptop..

Posting here is now as much for my own records as much as keeping all who helped updated.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Ricky - no problem :slight_smile:

I'm fully confident they will come up with the goods for you.