Join now - be part of our community!

I want to upgrade ram on my sony vaio

SOLVED
Jammy100
New

I want to upgrade ram on my sony vaio

I want an aditional 4GB of ram for my Sony Vaio S13 but i'm not sure which ones would be compatible, or do i just buy any? 

18 REPLIES 18
Jammy101
Explorer

U see i get really confused with these drop down menu things, for example selecting the "Product Line", how do i know exactly which one is mine? theres hundreds of different selections on that list, which one corresponds to Sony Vaio S13, cause thats all i know about my laptop. I Also dont know how to find the "Model Number", i've looked around my laptop to find a code that looks simlar to anything on that list but i cant find it. plz help. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jammy101.

We are going to need the model number.

You will find the model in one of the following places: -

1. On the screen surround when open - usually bottom-right.

2. In Vaio Control Centre -> System Information

3. On the original box

It will probably start SVS13*****. if it was bought 2013 it will start SVS1313***, if bought in 2012 it will start SVS1312***

As a last resort, give us the age of your Vaio and as much about your Vaio as possible.

:smileyconfused:.

Jammy101
Explorer

I think i've found it underneath my laptop.

Model Number: SVS1313C5E

Jammy101
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jammy101,

Your model was available in various configurations - it is a CTO Model (configured to order), so we cannot tell how much RAM you have already fitted.  This model has 4GB fixed memory and you can add one 2GB, 4GB or 8GB module up to a maximum of 12GB.

Your model uses the following memory: -

204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module

It will be best to find out what you have already before buying another module.

On the Start Screen, click on 'Control Panel'.  On the next screen choose 'More Options' at the bottom of the list on the left of the screen.  When the Control Panel opens choose 'System'.  Under the system information, you will see the amount of installed memory (RAM).

When you know what you have installed, you can then decide if you need an upgrade.

I must admit I am surprised that you don't know what is fitted - did you not order the Vaio yourself?

:thinking:

Jammy101
Explorer

ok thanks. so i was about to order this stick of ram from Crucial that fits my specs: 

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT51264BF1339

but i noticed in the image that the loaction of the notch on the chip doesnt correspond to where the gap would be on my laptop, its on the right hand side in that image but on my laptop its on the left, is this just the default view for the images or is the ram actually like that in real life. cause if it is then i'm screwed cuz all the ram on the site are like that.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think CT4253118 is the one you need: -

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=96162895A5CA7304

It should fit OK - just imagine that you are looking at the module from the back!!!

RAM1.jpg          OR      RAM2.jpg

:wink:

Jammy101
Explorer

alright thanks man. i just ordered it. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks Blencogo  - glad you got it sorted Jammy101.