Join now - be part of our community!

Install touchpad driver

ntavares
Visitor

Install touchpad driver

Hi.
I've cleaned installed a XP on my Vaio.
I've followed the clean install manual and everything works well.
All drivers installed except two. The touchpad and standard floppy disk controller
The floppy disk has the question character and the touchpad does not appear in the system devices.
I have the drivers zip file from sony but I can't install them.
I can't find the drivers for the floppy controller and though I have the dir with the files for the touchpad it does not have a setup file.
Can someone help me, please?

Thanks.

Nuno

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Nuno,

welcome to Club Vaio..

To make it easier for us could you let us know what model vaio you have please.. :wink:

ntavares
Visitor

VGN-FE31M

Thanks.

Nuno

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Nuno,

Did you use the Vaio Recovery Utility to install XP..?

Place the mouse drivers that you've downloaded in to a folder ie C:\Drivers\Pointing.

Go to Start > Run type devmgmt.msc and press OK, Device Manager window should open, double click Mouse and Other Pointing Devices.

Is there a mouse listed, if so, right click once on the mouse and select properties.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

The window now changes select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

If 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) appears in the new window, select it and click next..

If the 'Alps Pointing-device' does not appear in the list remove the tick from 'Show Compatible Hardware' and select Alps Electric from the Manufacturer column then 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) from the model column and then click next.

Failing that click back and select Search for the best driver in these locations, remove the tick from floppy, cd rom and browse to the location of the downloaded Alps driver folder to included it in the search and click next.

Wait for the driver to install then click Finish, a System Settings Change window should now appear prompting you to Restart your Computer and click Yes to restart..... :slight_smile:

If there are no mice listed in device manager then go to the Add Hardware Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware.

A new window should open, click next and follow the wizard..

ntavares
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus.
The touchpad driver is installed and working properly.

I have other questions I want to ask you:
1. I still see a floopy disk controller icon in the device management console with a question mark. Where do I find this driver?
2. I do not have the power status information icon in the task bar. I only have the plug icon and it does not provide information about battery status or manages the warnings when computer reaches x% of the battery power. Today the laptop drained all the battery and shutted down without any battery and without any warning.
3. When I did the clean install I could not find the Sony Notebook Control Device Driver. Is this driver in the updated sony drivers and what is the process to install it?

Thanks.

Nuno

ntavares
Visitor

Hi.
Any news from the questions I submitted?
Thanks.

Nuno

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Nuno,

Did you use your own version of windows XP to do the clean install, if so you will need to download and install the pre-installed utilities as well as the pre-installed drivers for your FE31 M..?

If you do not want all of the Sony applications etc, would it be easier to do something like this ..?