Join now - be part of our community!

Is my DW-U12A DVD Burner a DRU-500A in disguise?

StevenF
Visitor

Is my DW-U12A DVD Burner a DRU-500A in disguise?

Hi

I have a RS226 with a DW-U12A DVD burner installed. The firmware is 2.0c

I have seen somewhere that this is the same drive as a DRU-500A. If so, will the firmware update (2.0f) work on my machine.

I'm having trouble getting my DVD-R's to work on my Philips DVD player (VCD's don't work as well).

What are the ramifications of installing this firmware if its not the right one?

Any help appreciated.

Steven

PS thanks to all who helped on my cooling fan question!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Yes the 12A is the OEM version of the 500A. The risk with updating the firmware (even if it is the correct one) is that you may end up with a drive which no longer works.

StevenF
Visitor

Thanks

Has anyone upgraded the firmware on the U12A succesfully?

Danuk
Visitor

Only to what the 12A firmware allows which i did today but gotta test it out now , see how it does :smileygrin:

StevenF
Visitor

What do you mean by

Only to what the 12A firmware allows

Please let me know how you got on, did you have any problems that you wanted it to fix?

robpaxton
Explorer

I upgraded my U10A and it worked OK.

StevenF
Visitor

Rob, would you say its an acceptable risk updating the firmware?

PS I'm a fellow North Easterner - Gateshead

Danuk
Visitor

If you go to the download site for your vaio ( vaio link or summat) it will give you the firmware download for you on there, i would not bother messing with other firmwares , but the decision is yours.

I think the latest one for the 12A is 2.0E. The firmware gives you the reason you need it with the download , i never had any trouble but decided to upgrade anyhow.

Dan.

robpaxton
Explorer

It depends on how bad your problems are. I am afraid only you can make that decision.

I've updated the firmware a couple of times on my drive and haven't had a problem. Make sure that you follow the instructions carefully if you decide to do it.

Apparently the latest firmware for the U12A is pretty good.