Join now - be part of our community!

Issue with RAM

SOLVED
profile.country.no_NO.title
Ulluboz
Visitor

Issue with RAM

Hi

This is not what I would consider a major problem, but nontheless irritating. When I go into the task manager I see that my Sony Vaio is using over 50% of the physical memory, although I am just surfing the web, and have very few programs running in the background. I have attached pictures showing memory usage from task manager.

Does someone have some smart advice for me?

Model number: VPCEB4X1E

Message was edited by: Ulluboz

Message was edited by: Ulluboz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ulluboz,

This is normal.  No matter how much memory you have installed, Windows will reserve 40% to 50% of it for itself as Cached Memory.

Even with 8GB installed, the same happens.  Vista and Windows 7 are very greedy and use something called SuperFetch to pre-load your most used programs into RAM.  This makes booting and loading much quicker.

You can turn off SuperFetch but your system will slow down dramatically.  SuperFetch is part of Windows Memory Management and is best left on - Windows will release this Cached Memory if the system requires more memory for running programs.

You can turn off some of those processes in Task Manager which will release some memory but don't worry, your system is not unusual.

Google for SuperFetch for more info.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ulluboz,

This is normal.  No matter how much memory you have installed, Windows will reserve 40% to 50% of it for itself as Cached Memory.

Even with 8GB installed, the same happens.  Vista and Windows 7 are very greedy and use something called SuperFetch to pre-load your most used programs into RAM.  This makes booting and loading much quicker.

You can turn off SuperFetch but your system will slow down dramatically.  SuperFetch is part of Windows Memory Management and is best left on - Windows will release this Cached Memory if the system requires more memory for running programs.

You can turn off some of those processes in Task Manager which will release some memory but don't worry, your system is not unusual.

Google for SuperFetch for more info.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
nikkilim
Visitor

Hi. Click on Performance Tab then hit Resource Monitor then click Memory Tab.

This will show you which process is taking a lot of portion on your Memory. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif