Join now - be part of our community!

JUMPING CURSOR ISSUE - PLEASE HELP

profile.country.en_GB.title
catherineheilbron
Visitor

JUMPING CURSOR ISSUE - PLEASE HELP

Model # VGN TX VN/L, OS - Windows 7 Professional (clean install from vista)

I have spent all morning on Microsoft forum and Sony Vaio trying to find a solution to stop my cursor jumping when typing text.  I only ever use the touchpad and do not use an external mouse. The problem started with vista which is what was originally installed and hoped that 7 would clear the problem.  I have Vaio updates set to automatic. I thought the problem was due to me resting my wrist on the panel to below the keyboard and to the left of the touch pad - note, not on it - I am a touch typist but am now very careful not to do that and the issue still occurs.

I see on other posts you have suggested selecting the function/tapping tab - I don't have one and on another you give a link to download the ALPS pointing device but the link doesn't work for me and nor do I have touchpad in my system tray and cannot find anything relating to touchpad when I do a search.

I do have a PS2 mouse listed but I very, very rarely use it.  I think I need the drivers for the touchpad but what are they called and where do I find them?

This is driving me nuts and really hindering my work  :slight_frown:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try downloading the XP version of the Alps Pointing Driver.

You can find it with the other Drivers and Utilities for your model for a downgrade to XP here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-TX5VN_L&os=6

Scroll down to the Drivers at the bottom of the page and choose to download the Pointing Device Driver.

Place the mouse driver that you've downloaded in to a folder ie C:\Drivers\Pointing.

Go  to Start > Run type devmgmt.msc and press OK, Device Manager window  should open, double click Mouse and Other Pointing Devices.

Right click once on the PS2 mouse and select properties.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

The window now changes select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

Select Search for the best driver in these  locations, remove the tick from floppy, cd rom and browse to the  location of the downloaded Alps driver folder C:\Drivers\Pointing and click next.

Wait for the driver to install then click  Finish, a System Settings Change window should now appear prompting you  to Restart your Computer and click Yes to restart.....

If that does not work you may need to consider that flexing the palmrest in some way may be the cause.

:wink: