Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop keyboard problem

profile.country.en_IE.title
Gobbluth
Visitor

Laptop keyboard problem

Hi there,

I'm having problems with my laptop.  The keyboard is being generally unresponsive.  Mainly when I type the letters will jump to a different part of the screen and continue the sentence from there making it impossible to type without having to constantly go back and retype.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but the Num Lk seems to be working in reverse too.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gobbluth,

Check to see whether filter keys has been activated.

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/463/

If that isn't the problem then have a dig around in Ease of Access for other settings that may be causing the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_IE.title
Gobbluth
Visitor

Thanks for your swift reply Rich.  It doesn't seem to have helped anything I'm afraid.  I had a look at the Ease of Access settings too and nothing seemed to jump out?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gobbluth,

As a matter of interest were filter keys activated and if so did you reboot after unchecking this option?

In order to rule out a hardware problem I suggest that you try a system restore back to a date when the keyboard was working normally.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
ChrisWel
Visitor

Hi,

The problem you describe is probably not your keyboard. It will be related to your touchpad. When typing on you laptop keyboard you are brushing the touchpad with your hand and moving the pointer to a different location on screen. When you continue to type the text appears where the pointer/cursor has moved to.

Try reducing the sensitivity of your touchpad, by using the application. Im  guessing its a synaptics touchpad. If the laptop is using the default windows driver, this makes the touchpad too sensitive. You will have to download the appropriate software driver for it.

Regards,

Chris.