Join now - be part of our community!

Leaving Laptop turned on?

Leetay
Visitor

Leaving Laptop turned on?

Hi all

How many of you leave you laptops turned on 24/7?
Mine is basically a desktop replacement, so therefor never moves from the desk, and I have Acronis and Anti virus software running daily for back-ups etc.

Will it harm it if its left on constantly??

Cheers

Ps monitor is set to go off after 2 hours, so that is not on all night, but everthing else, hard drives etc are.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Leetay,

Leaving your computer on 24/7 will not harm your notebook but, in my experience, any windows operating system needs a reboot at least every 24 hrs to iron out the inevitable glitches that occur after a few hours….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Leetay,

Also leaving your laptop turned on when not in use is not good for the environment.. :wink:

sunking101
Visitor

I don't understand why anyone would want to leave their laptop on 24 hours a day. It will wear out quicker and think of all the electricity!

apierc1
Visitor

It might cause eventual overheating and thus failure of the processor.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I know a reason why you naughty devil you :wink:

danreed
Visitor

Leetay,

Leaving your laptop plugged into the mains all the time can cause the battery life to be reduced quite badly. I used to leave my old laptop on charge and quite often switched on all the time. Eventually the battery would only last a few minutes.

Waqz
Visitor

Wow. I never knew a laptop battery could wear down and only be usable for a few hours. My laptop is on quite alot of the day but it's in use. Whenever im not using it i put it in hibernate. But i do switch it off if its not being used for a long time. Is it safe this way? How long does it take for the battery to wear out? Thanks.

Leetay
Visitor

I know a reason why you naughty devil you  :wink:

I don't know what you mean!!

Leetay
Visitor

Oh well if the battery wares out, so be it, I'll probably upgrade on a yearly (or so) basis, so should last a year i'd have thought!

Cheers

Lee