Join now - be part of our community!

Maximum HDD size for VGN-A417M

Reaver
Visitor

Maximum HDD size for VGN-A417M

I'm looking to upgrade my hardrive. Does anyone know the maximum size I can go for and what maximum speed I can get. Also, will I experience any problems trying to recover Windows with the Recovery discs with a bigger drive?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
TigerPhil
Visitor

Hello,

I'm not sure, but I think you can put 512*2 ram DDR on your computer.

For the second question, I have no idea.

Bye

profile.country.en_GB.title
koymik
New

I think the max ram you can stick to your machine is 2 gig, that means 1 gig in every slot,, about the first query,, no idea...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You should be able to fit any 2.5 inch SATA drive as long as it is of the standard 100 X 70 X 9.5 mm dimensions.

I think you can get these up to 160 GB @ 5400 RPM or 100 GB @ 7200 RPM.

Google for 'Seagate Momentus' or 'Hitachi Travelstar'.

You can either do a 'Factory Recovery' from your Recovery Discs or use something like Acronis True Image to make a Mirror of your present drive.

You can also buy (fairly cheaply) a USB Caddy. You can put your old drive in this and connect it to your Vaio by USB to copy data across from the old drive.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tiger Phil,

Welcome to Club Vaio. Hope you will stick about!

:slight_smile:

Reaver
Visitor

Thanks for that, so really any size hardrive is supported, Brilliant.

Would I notice much difference between a 5200rpm or a 7200rpm drive?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, quite a bit.

You should really be able to fit a 100GB drive without any issues, I'm not sure about > 132GB as this is usually where Windows throws a toy out of it's pram if the BIOS doesn't support big hard disks.

Reaver
Visitor

Yes, quite a bit.

You should really be able to fit a 100GB drive without any issues, I'm not sure about > 132GB as this is usually where Windows throws a toy out of it's pram if the BIOS doesn't support big hard disks.
Right, so I need to check details of my BIOS then and that'll tell me how big I can go.

Regarding the speed, it's a bit of a toss up really. I already have a 80gb HDD 5200rpm so I can go for speed instead of storage space or storage space instead of speed:smileycry: :laughing:

I'll check the net for details about my bios then, see what it comes up with.