Join now - be part of our community!

FS515 won't log off /turn off

CarolOrsler
Visitor

FS515 won't log off /turn off

Just bought a new FS515 laptop. Teething problems maybe? Cannot log off or turn off. Took power lead out and battery, left it for a few minutes, laptop starts up and I get a Windows prob wants me to choose last Windows mode ie. safe etc. This is the second time this has happened in as many weeks - help. Don't think it's anything to do with seating of memory but any suggestions welcomed. Thankscarol.orsler@1webmail.net

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

When you turn off, what happens? Do you just see your desktop without icons/task bar? Or does it go to the blue screen with logging off?

CarolOrsler
Visitor

Thanks for responding.
Procedure I follow is:
Hit Start : Log Off : Turn off (this is where it goes wrong) the PC does not respond to turn off. Sony instruction booklet says that I should take power lead out and remove battery for a few minutes. Replace battery and power lead and turn the unit back on. The systems starts up and I am presented with a black screen with mono type which says Windows did not end properly - I have a number of options to start up windows one of which is highlighted white it says something like 'this is the last working session of windows' I enter on this and the screen returns to this black screen with 'this is the last working session of windows' (sorry I am at work at the moment and the sony is at home. Hope its nothing drastically wrong. Regards

apierc1
Visitor

Hello, I have a similar problem with my Vaio, (different model), Sometimes it doesn't want to log off from windows, it seems unresponsive, i pressume it is just taking a long time to close down all the open tasks that are running in the background. but if I keep telling it to lof off (turn off) it usually does eventually. If it is being really stubborn I find after teloing it to turn off, if I press the power key once (telling it to go into hibernation) it does so and then by pressing the power button again when it "awakes" it doesn't make it fully back to windows as it then logs off and shuts down. If you get it onto blue screen where it says logging off and it just stays there, I usually give mine 5 to 10 minutes and the hard drive will have stopped whirring and I just hold down the power key until it turns off, and on restart it doesn't say there was a problem with shutdown. I can't find a cure for this problem (even performing a complete recovery) but as long as you can get it to switch off eventually it isn't too bad. (This isn't a technical response, just my excperiance, maybe someone can solve the problem) :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Try uninstalling Norton Internet Security, it did something like this to me, was a right pain.

CarolOrsler
Visitor

Thanks for responding.
Telephoned Sony and analsyst went through some procedures like trying to find a last good system install so he could get a restored system, but unfortunately no date available as the unit is brand new hmm.. after hit lots of F2's F9's and the big F10 the system was restored back to factory settings. Tried to make a note of exact procedure but lost the plot about 20 minutes into the call. System up and working and I uninstalled Norton (athough it did not want to go). System up and working at the moment ~ early days yet. Sony analyst calling on Monday to check out what's happening. If the system is stable in the coming weeks I will post an update letting you and anyone else who has this problem know if by getting rid of Norton will do the trick. Hope so. Was a bit disappointed to discover no internal microphone thought that was a bit of let down. Thanks again!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Carol,

When you removed Norton did you use the Norton Removal Tool

Also now Norton is removed have you installed another make of Antivirus and firewall..?

If not you can download and install these free applicationsAVG Anti-Virus and ZoneAlarm also for good measure it's worth having something like Spybot-S&D..:smileyhappy:

kee-lo_

Carol,

Great news, a few things though.

1) Make sure Windows Firewall is running, go to Start > Connect To > Show All Network Connections > Right click your adaptor you use to connect to the internet and select properties > There click on advanced and check enable internet connection firewall.

2) Do you have anti-virus? If not then AVG is an excellent program. Free too, I use it on all the PCs in the house. Do a full scan after install.

3) Once the week has gone past and everyone's happy it's working correctly you might want to consider Zone Alarm as a firewall as it's much stronger than Windows Firewall. You can get it from Zonelabs.com

kee-lo_

Woops, sorry Thalamus, I'm echoing what you said :smileyblush:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

hahahaha @ kee-Lo :smileygrin: