Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Problems

Mr.Synister
Visitor

Memory Problems

I have a Vaio PCG GRZ515G, which is a few years old now. Its a P4 2.4Ghz CPU with 512MB of RAM installed. I recently noticed that the performance was slower than usual. So I checked Computer Management & saw the system was only reading 256MB of RAM. I opened the memory bay airdusted the compartment, reseated the memory modules & restarted the machine & hey presto my memory was back. Over the past couple of weeks the problem has reappeared. In response i've swapped the memory round into different sockets & even purchased new memory. All of which worked for a while, but doesn't seem to have resolved the root problem. At present I don't believe there is an issue with the memory (new modules are installed) The connections & bay are clean & dust free. Has anyone come across this fault before & do you have any suggestions to help resolve it. This machine has served me faultlessly for years & this problem pains my heart & weighs heavily on my mind. I fear it is the begining of the end. (motherboard problem) Please help!

9 REPLIES 9
William
Visitor

Sadly this problem is widespread over an ever increasing range of models. It is almost certainly a problem with the soldering of the memory sockets to the motherboard. Usually one goes first often followed by the second.

The good news is, it can be repaired in the UK (See the last few posts)

VAIO VILLAGE

I have never met or used this guy but he seems to be getting some fan mail from satisfied customers.

If you return your GRZ to Sony they will charge for a replacement motherboard at some obscene price.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The dreaded memory slot issue comes back.

I did hear someone in Peterborough was fixing it but I have no experience or info about it.

kee-lo_

Yeah BruceBenson seems to be getting a good response, nice to see people helping out like this.

Any idea of the price William?

Mr.Synister
Visitor

Thanks for the fast & efficient response :smileygrin:

William
Visitor

Unfortunately, no idea of price, I am guessing but I get the impression it can't be excessive based on the number of recent posts over there.

I did try to get my girlfirend to consider resurrecting her dead GRX through Bruce, but since she bought her new Vaio laptop (315Z) she has no interest in spending more money on it.

BTW a lot of the lettering on her keys have worn right away so really it needs a new keyboard too.

kee-lo_

Wierd that, my GRX keys are in good condition.

Still love the GRX316MP!

Mr.Synister
Visitor

The sinister smile is back!

I've been to see Mr Benson as recommended. & would recommend him without hesitation to any one experiencing the same problem as me. :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Great news, how much did he charge?

William
Visitor

Great news, how much did he charge?

I am pleased he got you sorted after my "recommendation".

As Kee-Lo asked whats the cost :smileygrin: