Join now - be part of our community!

Missing WiFi on/off system tray icon

SOLVED
SirCumfy

Missing WiFi on/off system tray icon

My Vaio laptop is 18 months old and the other day the hard drive fried and I lost everything, including the recovery partition to reinstall. I've installed a new hard drive now, and reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch. First thing I did after it was set up was visit the page for my model (SVE1711R1EB) and download all of the drivers listed, expecting that this would set most things back to how they were.

However, one thing that I used to use a lot was an icon in the system tray which linked to a widget to enable/disable wifi and bluetooth; it used to open automatically on start-up too. Having installed all the drivers I'm disappointed to note that it's not there, and I can't find where to get it from.

It was a little icon with a green square containing an upward and a downward arrow. How do I get this back?

I should add that wi-fi works fine but I don't always want it running - this utility was a fantastic way of easily switching wifi on/off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi SirCumfy and welcome.

The application you are looking for is "VAIO Smart Network" and this should be available in the 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities'  download section for your model here (about 6 from the bottom): -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1711R1EB/updates

I am not sure whether this application is dependent on other drivers.  Have you reinstalled everything in the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities section?

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi SirCumfy and welcome.

The application you are looking for is "VAIO Smart Network" and this should be available in the 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities'  download section for your model here (about 6 from the bottom): -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1711R1EB/updates

I am not sure whether this application is dependent on other drivers.  Have you reinstalled everything in the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities section?

:thinking:

SirCumfy

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your reply.

I had meticulously downloaded all of the pre-installed stuff, run each one individually, rebooted when prompted but no icon was present (hence my post).

I've now re-run the Smart Network program and yes, there's my icon! :slight_smile:

Maybe it was dependent on something else that I hadn't yet installed.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.