Join now - be part of our community!

modem shuts down after 8 minutes

Bahia
Visitor

modem shuts down after 8 minutes

hello everybody,

i'm having a problem with the internet connection on my vaio desktop. after 8 minutes my internet connection disconnects, without warning, without any indication that the connection has been cut of. i can still open the connection window, but when i hit the "disconnect" button nothing happens. after some time (about a minute or two) i receive a error message saying: "the modem could not be found" or the program failure notice.

has anyone had the same problem?
does anybody know a solution?

i have the following configuration:
windows xp (service pack 1)
modem: DeTeWe TA 33 USB
connection: DFÜ (i don't know the name in english)

i have absolutely no virus or worm on my pc. i searched for everything a thousand times (where is a good virus when you need one :laughing: ) and i have formated the whole computer three days ago.

i thought that there might be a conflict with the vaio on board modem, so i removed that modem from the configuration and deleted the drivers, but i wouldn't be posting here if it had worked ... :angry:

if you know of some solution, please help me !!!
Thanks
Bahia

8 REPLIES 8
chuckalicious
Visitor

We have had similar problems with Compaq laptops, where the network connection was getting dropped. Does this occur if you leave your laptop idle for those 8 minutes or does it happen when you are surfing away? I ask as Windows can turn off devices if it thinks they are not being used to save power. To find out if this is happening, go to the device mananger (Right click on My COmputer, Properties, Hardware and then device manager). In there find your modem and right click on it and then go into the properties. If you see a power management section, then uncheck anything about turning off the device and then see if you get the same problem. If you do, it could well be a faulty modem. Not sure though

Snipes
Visitor

Does it allow to dissconest?

Snipes
Visitor

disconect, sorry [:">]

Bahia
Visitor

thank you for your fast replies!!!

it doesn't matter if i surf or leave it idle - after 8 minutes the connection drops (but i'll check the power management anyway, maybe i'll find something...)

as to your other question:
it allows to disconnect during the first 8 minutes, after that i get the error messages i described above.

is there anything else you can think of?
or do i have to get used to the idea, that my modem has become falty?!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As Stephanus used to say "it's an intermittant problem rather than a broken modem". I can't see why there would be power saving on a modem, as everyone is conncted for a long time.

By the way, I know this might sound obvious - but are you running bill control systems that cut you off after a period of time ? My friend's parents put one on so he could only use the net for 1hr back in the days of pay-per-minute internet (evil days :devil: )

Snipes
Visitor

Just a stupid question, do u think he might have the welcher worm Kee-lo?
coz i know when u have it (on OS X.P) it dont allow you to dissconect!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You could be right Snipes :slight_smile:
What you need to do is update the virus definitions and give that PC a good scanning.

Snipes
Visitor

You can download the patch at the following address
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp