Join now - be part of our community!

motherboard flexibility

besimgerguri
Visitor

motherboard flexibility

I have recently bought a Vaio Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ HT PC (PCV-RS322 series), and I would like to know that if in the near future I would like to upgrade my processor to Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz could that be possible?
Thank you for your help!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Maybe have a look at the Intel website. They have a good section about compatibility between boards and CPU's. I don't know if 3.2Ghz is available so there may not be any specific info.

kee-lo_

If it's the same FSB and same type, then it should be fine.
But do check Intel's site.

chuckalicious
Visitor

You tend to find that the good MOBO manufacturers release BIOS updates that allow you to use newer kit. As said though, you do need to ensure that the FSB is the same (you know what Intel are like, each new chip has a different FSB!)
That's why I like AMD :slight_smile: Well, that and the price

besimgerguri
Visitor

Thank you guys for the info!

Besim

kee-lo_

You tend to find that the good MOBO manufacturers release BIOS updates that allow you to use newer kit. 

What do you consider good?

I like Abit.

chuckalicious
Visitor

I would normally go for the bigger players, such as ASUS or such like. I only say that as they are more likely to fix problems or issues quickly. Of course, I'm only going on theory, I don't actually own one! YOu find that PC Mags do group tests of MOBOS quite often, so it's always good to try and ggrab one of them. Also, it's sometimes a good idea to get a non-top of the range one, as it has been mentioned in some mags that the really new ones are just too unstable as they have been pushed too far.

kee-lo_

Yep you're right.
I gave up on PC building last year, it was costing me a lot of money to do, and things kept breaking down, first it was the motherboard and then the PSU, and then when I got a replacement it wouldn't work, so I said forget this I'll get a Sony, hence why I am here :slight_smile:

chuckalicious
Visitor

Funny that. I had the exact same experience. I am a dab hand at modding and building etc, but it still stands true that if you buy a PC and leave it alone, it will last a long long time. If you open and start tinkering, it will falter. Annoying but true

kee-lo_

Agreed.
It's such a pain, and parts are not as good as they used to be.