Join now - be part of our community!

Need larger HDD

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
suskell
New

Need larger HDD

I have a VGN-FS295VP Sony laptop with an 80GB HDD which is almost full.

I need a larger HDD. Is there a limit to the size of HDD I can have in the laptop and will I need to make a new set of recovery CDs when the new drive is in place?

Thank you

Susan

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Susan,

Some older Vaios have a limit of 134GB but I do not believe there is any upper limit for your model.  You need an ATA drive (NOT SATA) and make sure the drive is not thicker than 9mm.

You need to make Recovery Discs before you insert the new drive and use these to place the original software onto the new disc.  There is no point in making recovery discs after the change as they will be the same - the recovery partition will not change and will contain the factory original software setup.

The simplest way is to buy a copy of Acronis True Image and create an exact image of your present hard drive onto DVDs or an external Hard Drive and then copy this image onto your new hard drive.  The advantage of this is that you will be copying all your programs, data, settings, updates etc and will not have to back these up and set up your Vaio from scratch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acronis-True-Image-Home-2010/dp/B002NGO1KO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid...

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Susan,

Some older Vaios have a limit of 134GB but I do not believe there is any upper limit for your model.  You need an ATA drive (NOT SATA) and make sure the drive is not thicker than 9mm.

You need to make Recovery Discs before you insert the new drive and use these to place the original software onto the new disc.  There is no point in making recovery discs after the change as they will be the same - the recovery partition will not change and will contain the factory original software setup.

The simplest way is to buy a copy of Acronis True Image and create an exact image of your present hard drive onto DVDs or an external Hard Drive and then copy this image onto your new hard drive.  The advantage of this is that you will be copying all your programs, data, settings, updates etc and will not have to back these up and set up your Vaio from scratch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acronis-True-Image-Home-2010/dp/B002NGO1KO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid...

suskell
New

Thank you very much.

If I make a copy of everything (exact image) using that software would I still have to use the recovery discs or does the copying do away with the need for this?

Susan

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Susan,

If you do an exact disc image copy you will not need to use the recovery discs.

suskell
New

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

Merry Christmas.

Susan