Join now - be part of our community!

Netbook not detecting any wireless networks

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ACLH68
Visitor

Netbook not detecting any wireless networks

Hi guys,

Can anyone help on this? Just come back from hols and before, the Netbook was finding my home wireless router no problem but now it can't see any networks. Did have Norton on but have uninstalled that and no change. Have also tried deleting the devices and still no joy. Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ACLH68
Visitor

Tried connecting using the physical cable and.. bingo!! Can now see all the wireless networks. If someone can explain why that works, I'd like to know. Seems bizarre to me! Thanks for the suggestions though!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm sure you have checked these but you may have missed one???

Does it work OK if you connect to the router by ethernet cable?

Is the physical Wireless Switch on the front of the Vaio turned on?

In the Vaio Smart Network window is 2.4GHz Wireless LAN toggled to "ON"?

Is the Wireless indicator light illuminated?

Have you checked that the Wireless Network Card is not disabled in Network Connections?  Does it say 'Connected'?

In Device Manager, under Network Adapters, does it say your wireless card is working correctly?

:thinking:

ACLH68
Visitor

Always worth checking!

Haven't checked the physical connection yet as it's the wireless I want to get working (though I will check that shortly). For the others :-

• wireless switch is on and showing green
  • Vaio SM window has Wireless LAN toggled on
  • Device manager seems to be OK
  • got Bluetooth and 2 wireless connections showing as active but not connected
ACLH68
Visitor

Tried connecting using the physical cable and.. bingo!! Can now see all the wireless networks. If someone can explain why that works, I'd like to know. Seems bizarre to me! Thanks for the suggestions though!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's good news.

I always thought WiFi was a bit of a dark art!!!!

:thinking: