Join now - be part of our community!

New Laptop Battery

SJN_73
New

New Laptop Battery

Hi All,

Joined up to ask a question about a battery.

I've been receiving the following error message:

"The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer.

Click 'ok' to enter Hibernate more, and remove and reinsert the battery.

See the electronic VAIO(R) User Guide for more information about using the battery".

I assume the battery I use at the minute is finished and that I need to buy a new one. I've had to do so with other laptop batteries in the past but if anyone is able to advise that this isn't necessarily the problem, it would be appreciated as I'm no expert!

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/msc1ky.jpg[/IMG] - there is a picture of the current battery. I can find a new one from various sellers online but with some slightly different specifications such as different 'V' and 'mAh' but with the same model number. Is this okay or does the new one have to be the exact same as the one pictured?

Appreciate any help. Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
smart2014
Explorer

Hi there

Please fully charge (24 hours) and discharge for several times to see how long the battery working time is. 

Could you tell us the battery still can boot computer or not?

For a new battery, we advise that you update the BIOS of your laptop, and open the hardware automatic identification port of your laptop. 

When you use it firstly, you need to discharge till 5%, then charge it about 11 hours. Usually, new battery need to fully discharge and charge for three or four times, which can achieve the best performance. 

About the new battery, please set the power management of your laptop: Property -> Screen Saver -> power -> Power scheme -> Portable / Laptop -> please cancel about low battery alarm and serious shortage of battery alarm when use the battery. 
For some laptops, you could try to close your power management tool to test your new battery. 

You could try to take out the battery from your laptop, and put it back again, repeat several times. Make sure that it isn't a poor contact problem between the battery and your laptop. 

If the battery works in higher temperature, the battery protection plate will work and the laptop restart program will make a termination order. You can take out the battery, put it back again, and avoid work in high temperature. 

In order to avoid some damage to the battery, please note: 
Please don't take out the battery when the laptop is in run status. 
Please don't pull out the ac adapter frequently when the battery is charging. 
Please use high quality and reliable laptop charger, not to use the universal laptop charger. 

Are there something wrong with the new battery can not charging? 
That's not usually the case. When equipment for the first time to recharge the battery, the instability of the voltage and current may cause the battery charge to 50% (sometimes more, sometimes less), and equipment stop charging the battery. 
If this happens,don't worry. You just remove the battey from the equipment, recharge again. First charging a new battery may need several repeated process. Please be assured that this is normal. 

Many people have reflected that SONY's notebook haven't recognised and charged the new battery problem. Usually, they solve this problem via BIOS refreshed. 

Usually, please connect the battert with the power supply when you can refresh the BIOS. 
For Visa system, you need to close UAC (Control panel -〉User account and Home Safe -〉User account -〉open or close “user account control”,close the option of UAC, Then reset the system. Then enter the system and update BIOS. Please open the UAC option again, after you update the BIOS, then reset the system again. 

If there is any problem,please feel free to contact us :slight_smile:

best wish 

Fiona

Commercial link removed.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi SJN_73 and welcome.

Please give us the Vaio Model so we can advise on a battery type.

With a Vaio, it is not possible to change the BIOS and it is important to purchase a GENUINE SONY replacement battery to prevent problems.  Do not buy a third party battery - in particular never buy one that requires a BIOS Update as this may render your Vaio unusable.

With modern Lithium Ion batteries there is no need to cycle (charge and discharge) the battery.  These batteries have no memory effect like the older NiCad and all you will be doing is to use up some of the finite number of available recharges within the battery life.

If you let us have the Vaio Model we can give you the recommended battery types for normal and high capacity batteries.  Then you can Google for the correct Genuine Sony Battery.

:wink: