Join now - be part of our community!

new sound card for XL 201

pquinn140369
Visitor

new sound card for XL 201

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good sound card upgrade for the XL201? My one has just gone kaput, so I would like to fit something decent as a replacement. Am I limited by the idiosynchratic motherboard of this media PC?

Thanks for any help or advice.

PQ

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi PQ,

I suppose it depends what you use your Vaio for. Classical Music/Gaming/Pop/Heavy Metal etc.

You have one free full height PCI expansion slot but because of the internal setup this cannot be longer than 16cm.

So you need a PCI compatible card less than 16cm long. I've just had a look at the CREATIVE Xi-Fi WEBSITE and they don't give a length in the specifications - a trip to PC World with a tape measure?

:thinking:

pquinn140369
Visitor

Hi PQ,

I suppose it depends what you use your Vaio for. Classical Music/Gaming/Pop/Heavy Metal etc.

You have one free full height PCI expansion slot but because of the internal setup this cannot be longer than 16cm.

So you need a PCI compatible card less than 16cm long. I've just had a look at the CREATIVE Xi-Fi WEBSITE and they don't give a length in the specifications - a trip to PC World with a tape measure?

:thinking:

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice - I will do exactly as you say I think, the only way to be sure!

Cheers

PQ

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I have a ESI Maya44 in my Desktop PC.

If you are looking for a good-quality Stereo Soundcard, then it could be something for you.

2 Stereo Inputs, 2 Stereo Outputs, Monitoring, Direct Wire, etc.

I got mine for 99€. The card does not support multimedia features such as 3DSound, THX and whatelse you get from Terratek for the same money. But all the usefull stuff is there.

The ESI EWDM driver is a class of it's own. There is no need to use the crappy Windows sliders any more. (they become useless too because they lose any effect) You can switch between different latency. Accordingly to the performance of your PC. (48, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048 samples)

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44/

The card has replaced the Audiotrak Maya44 MKII.

pquinn140369
Visitor

great, thanks for the tip - hopefully it will fit the size requirements!