Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio (NW20ZF/S) - Battery Problems

vaio_newbie
Visitor

New Vaio (NW20ZF/S) - Battery Problems

Hi,

I recently purchased a new Vaio (VGN-NW20ZF/S) and just have a couple of questions? One of the main resaons for me buting this type of Vaio (over others) was the battery life which was advertised at 4.5 hrs. The maximum I can seem to get out of it is 2.5 hrs, and thats in power saver, and the usual battery power saving techniques such as screen brightness at a minimum, performance at a minimum, etc. Is this right that the actual battery time can be over 2 hrs less then whats advertised?? I always take advertised battery times with a pinch of salt but 2.5 hrs is pretty poor.

And if the poor battery time isn't bad enough, I'm also having a lot of problems with battery drain. I can switch the laptop off at night time with the battery at 100%. The next time I switch it on, (max of 12 hrs later), the battery can have lost up to 15% or more of its charge. Again, I know that battery's will loose some charge when switched off but 15% + overnight seems a bit excessive, and unacceptable. I konw its not an actual problem with the battery as if I take it out of the Vaio, it doesn't loose any power.

I've done some digging on this, (mainly just googling it) and I see that other Vaio users also experience similar problems, but they were all reported 2 - 3 yrs ago.

Is this still a problem with new Vaio laptops, noteable a 2 week old NW20ZF?

Can the real battery life really only be 2.5 hrs when its reported to be 4.5 hrs?

Can the battery drain really be 15% over 12 hrs or less?

I haven't contacted Sony about this yet as I don't want to waste time and money just to be passed round the house, so I thought I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks,

0 REPLIES 0