Join now - be part of our community!

Win 7 clean install, driver issue

profile.country.en_GB.title
vijsingh
Visitor

Win 7 clean install, driver issue

I did a clean install of Win 7 and I cant get the shortcut/volume keys or the Fn keys to work.

So far ive installed:
AppMon
Setting Utility Series
Vaio Control Center
Vaio Event Service
Vaio Original Function Settings
NVIDIA Drivers
Camera Ricoh

I've still got to install WinDVD BD, how do I know what else is needed?

10 REPLIES 10
vijsingh
Visitor

Nobody know??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You need to install in this order:

SFEP
Sony Shared Library.
Vaio Event Service.
Setting Utility Series.

:slight_frown:

vijsingh
Visitor

Thank you for replying

Ive only installed
Vaio Event Service
Setting Utility Series :slight_frown:

Should I uninstall them then install what you said in that order, will that work or have i messed up?

Edit: do you have the full list of what is needed for things for things to work? I made a thread about this a while ago already but cant seem to find it :slight_frown:

Edit: I downloaded SFEP but not sure how to install it, there is:
SFEP - Setup Information
sfepx64 - Security Catalog
sfepx86 - Security Catalog
SFEP - System File (within x64 folder)
SFEP - System File (within x86 folder) :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You may have SFEP installed but if not here are the instructions for installing SFEP: -

First check in device manager under 'Human Interface Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the others utilities in order.

1. If it is not there open device manager and check for devices that Windows 7 did not automatically install. Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001. Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to 'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your back-up driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SFEP.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!
14. Install the other drivers in order.

Incidentally if you find a hardware ID SNY6001 you need to install the SPIC driver in the same way.

There is no need to uninstall the Sony Utilities - just reinstall them in the correct order:

Sony Shared Library
VAIO Event Service
Setting Utility Series

You can choose what else to install from here - Sony think you need all these: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR61M

:thinking:

TheMorpheus2000
Visitor

You need to install in this order:

SFEP
Sony Shared Library.
Vaio Event Service.
Setting Utility Series.

:slight_frown:

Hi Blencogo

This is some very valuable information you gave here. I will follow this on my next installation (probably will happen today or tomorrow). Since i intend to install some more of Sonys best, would you recommend me a specific installation order on these? AND, which of them do i really need? I intend to use the control center (for battery healthcare), and lan utility (to switch WLAN and BT on/off sepperately).

So here they come - after having those above mentioned installed already:

- 7UPG_Battery_Checker_4.0u_4.0.0.05260
- 7UPG_VAIO_Control_Center_4.0u_4.0.0.07280
- 7UPG_VAIO_Control_Color_Setting_1.4U_1.4.0.12110
- 7UPG_VAIO_Power_Management_4.0u_4.0.0.07060
- 7UPG_VAIO_Presentation_Support_2.0U_2.0.0.05270
- 7UPG_VAIO_Smart_Network_2.3U_2.3.0.20100

Battery Checker sounds as if i would need it for i.e. the battery health care within the control center? What is the control center color settings for? what does the power management pack do more than the microsoft one? what would i need presentation support for?

I also found this update "7UPG_Setting_Utility_Series update" for the setting utility series. Do i install this directely after the main settings package, or even instead?

many questions ... thank you so much!

Morph

vijsingh
Visitor

Thank you very much, it worked perfectly :slight_smile:

vijsingh
Visitor

I just tried the HDMI out and everything looked alright but when I played a video file I noticed there was no sound coming from the TV but it was from the laptop.

It used to be fine on Vista, is there a fix?

btw. I had the Laptop screen off.

Edit: I went into the sound settings and saw:
Speakers (Default Device)
Headphones
Digital Audio (HDMI)
Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

When I change the default device to HDMI then the sound works on the TV but not laptop so I then have to change the Speakers the default when I want to use the laptop...is there a setting to change for it to change automatically?
I tried changing HDMI to 'Default Comnication Device' whilst keeping the Speakers Default but still no sound on TV

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have always had to change from an analogue speaker output to the digital HDMI manually.

But perhaps someone else knows a fix???

:thinking:

vijsingh
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought it use the switch automatically for everyone :slight_frown:
I suppose I can live with manually changing it.

Another question :smileyblush:
Scrolling down pages by swiping your finger down the side of the touchpad stopped working, is there a driver for it?