Join now - be part of our community!

New Z series with sata HDs instead of SSDs?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

New Z series with sata HDs instead of SSDs?

Does anyone else want to see the new Z series with sata Hard Drives instead of the SSDs they have?

I undertand this is one of Sony's flagship Vaios but I don't want to pay a few hundred pounds for the sake of a faster hard drive and a little performance.

Does anyone else believe Sony should give us the option on the type of HD we want?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Depending on the chassis design there may be no room to fit a mechanical hard disk drive.Unlike most SATA SSDs you can buy as parts on the consumer market, the SSDs used in VAIO production are not wrapped in a (mostly empty) box that matches the size of a 2.5" hard disk drive. I don't know if that will apply to the new Z, but judging by it's size and similarity to the X Series to which this does apply, I think it will apply and there won't be any room for a mechanical disk drive.

That being said, getting an SSD is the greatest performance boost you can get for your system. I've started using them a few years ago to speed up my gaming desktop. While you have room in a desktop to use a SSD as system drive and use a mechanical hard drive for data storage and therefore get the benefit without high cost, most notebook designs don't anticipate two hard disc bays, which is why you are seeing conversion kits that allow you to place a retail SSD in the optical drive bay and stick the optical drive in a USB case instead (The new Z's optical drive is part of the power media dock though, not of the main unit).

Besides speed, there is another reason to go SSD: people walk around with their notebook running and are then  flabbergasted when their hard drive quickly deteriorates. Since the SSD has no moving parts, it is safe from such abuse and can be used in motion without these risks.

I get that SSD's price per gigabyte storage space appears high,but IOPS is what really matters. I'd rather take a 128GB SSD than a 640GB HDD. If the SSD gets full, tidy up, archive or use a SD card for spare data storage.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Depending on the chassis design there may be no room to fit a mechanical hard disk drive.Unlike most SATA SSDs you can buy as parts on the consumer market, the SSDs used in VAIO production are not wrapped in a (mostly empty) box that matches the size of a 2.5" hard disk drive. I don't know if that will apply to the new Z, but judging by it's size and similarity to the X Series to which this does apply, I think it will apply and there won't be any room for a mechanical disk drive.

That being said, getting an SSD is the greatest performance boost you can get for your system. I've started using them a few years ago to speed up my gaming desktop. While you have room in a desktop to use a SSD as system drive and use a mechanical hard drive for data storage and therefore get the benefit without high cost, most notebook designs don't anticipate two hard disc bays, which is why you are seeing conversion kits that allow you to place a retail SSD in the optical drive bay and stick the optical drive in a USB case instead (The new Z's optical drive is part of the power media dock though, not of the main unit).

Besides speed, there is another reason to go SSD: people walk around with their notebook running and are then  flabbergasted when their hard drive quickly deteriorates. Since the SSD has no moving parts, it is safe from such abuse and can be used in motion without these risks.

I get that SSD's price per gigabyte storage space appears high,but IOPS is what really matters. I'd rather take a 128GB SSD than a 640GB HDD. If the SSD gets full, tidy up, archive or use a SD card for spare data storage.

profile.country.GB.title
crsteve80
New

Hi I just bought one yesterday. It was a pre-order, so never saw it before buying. Frankly I'm very disappointed with the build quality and not being made aware that the DVD drive is in the docking station and has a seperate power block. It feels cheap and nasty, especially the combined trackpad and keys, unlike previous Z series I've owned and loved. I'll be taking it back if I can.

profile.country.en_GB.title
polarbear_edge
Visitor

Hi, is anyone selling the box and manuals for there Z series?