Join now - be part of our community!

No Audio Output Device is installed after upgrade Vista

Kadizade
Visitor

No Audio Output Device is installed after upgrade Vista

I have recently bought a new Sony VAIO (Laptop) VGN-FE41E. After I expericenced some windows problems I have upgraded the system software (Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct). Then my computer fell silent. When I hover over the sound icon next to the clock. (bottom right hand corner) I get the message "No Audio Output Device is installed." Before I upgraded my Vista the device worked properly-previously I was using the same system software.

To solve the problem I have tried the following:
1-In the control panel> Harware and sound > sound, it is indicated that “No audio devices are installed”
2-In the control panel> Device manager, under Sound, video and game conrollers I have found SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. I have tried to update the driver of this device by right clicking. I was notified that “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date”
3-Afterwards I disabled and enabled the device. It did not solve the problem.
4-Afterwards I uninstalled the device and reinsalled it again in Device manager. It did not work.
5-I also visited the driver databse website ( http://www.driversdb.com/device.php?id=73047 ) no driver is offered for this product for windows Vista (For other system software they do).
6-VAIO website does also not offer drivers for this product.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Did you ever tried Windows Update? or Microsoft Update?

Kadizade
Visitor

Thank you very much,
I was able to solve the problem by rolling back to the preinstalled factory state.
The problem is more complicated than it seems. See the following discussion at

http://www.community.windowsreinstall.com/index.php?showtopic=110&st=0&gopid=408&

Community at WindowsReinstall.com > Windows > Windows Vista

no audio device installed Options Track this topic

lyn8949

i just purchased a dell 6400 with vista home basic. when i try to play music i get a message that says "there is no audio output device installed". I check my sound drivers and i have sigma tel audio but nothing else appears in the device window. what do i need to do to get audio to play?

Mark
Administrator
Make sure your sound card is not disabled in the BIOS

sam254

less chance of sound card been disabled in BIOS - as his audio drivers are listed properly.. Mark pls give exact name of application which says that - e.g.- Media Player or Sonic and then you can try downloading the latest patch from their respective website

Kadizade
I have recently bought a new Sony VAIO (Laptop) VGN-FE41E. After I expericenced some windows problems I have upgraded the system software (Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct). Then my computer fell silent. When I hover over the sound icon next to the clock. (bottom right hand corner) I get the message "No Audio Output Device is installed." Before I upgraded my Vista the device worked properly-previously I was using the same system software.

To solve the problem I have tried the following:
1- In the control panel> Harware and sound > sound, it is indicated that “No audio devices are installed”
2- In the control panel> Device manager, under Sound, video and game conrollers I have found SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. I have tried to update the driver of this device by right clicking. I was notified that “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date”
3- Afterwards I disabled and enabled the device. It did not solve the problem.
4- Afterwards I uninstalled the device and reinsalled it again in Device manager. It did not work.
5- I also visited the driver databse website ( http://www.driversdb.com/device.php?id=73047 ) no driver is offered for this product for windows Vista (For other system software they do).
6- VAIO website does also not offer drivers for this product.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Mark

Administrator
That version of laptop is now being sold with Vista Home Premium..

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.ac...ry=VN+FE+Series

Try contacting Sony and see if they have a Vista driver

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/s...N-FE&m=2547

Kadizade
Thank you very much Mark,
I had already visited that link before. My impression is that, that table is prepared for those who upgrade their system from XP to Vista. The problem is that my original system software was also Vista. Since I did not receive system recovey CDs with my Laptop but a windows Vista Upgrade DVD, I used this to reinstal my systrem software. The problem ocurred thereafter. Since my original software was Vista the table at the link you sent to me does not include my VAIO model. Moreover I Have read this announcement today...
May be I should try comparable drivers at the link you sent me..
Best wishes,

at
http://www.idt.com/?id=3969

IDT PC Audio Informational Site for Microsoft Vista
IDT acquired the SigmaTel PC Audio products and all support for SigmaTel PC Audio is now handled by IDT.

Known Issue

Audio Driver stops working after upgrade to Vista (from XP to Vista, or from a base version of Vista to a more advanced version of the OS)
AUDIO ISSUE OVERVIEW Microsoft Vista supports upgrading an existing Windows system. During this upgrade process, previously installed audio device drivers are copied and reinstalled on the new Vista installation. This can involve upgrading from an earlier version of Windows (like XP), or from another version of Vista (e.g. Vista Home to Vista Ultimate).
During this process, a problem occurs where some of the files required for the IDT audio driver installation become inaccessible.

RESOLUTION This problem can be fixed by installing an updated audio driver, or by reinstalling the existing driver.
However, before doing this, the currently installed driver must be uninstalled. This process is explained below.

Driver Uninstall Instructions (HTML)
Driver Uninstall Instructions (PDF)

ADDITIONAL VISTA SUPPORT
Please be sure to visit the web-based support pages published by your computer system vendor for additional information and any available driver updates. IDT's OEM partners (your computer system vendor) provide IDT with detailed feature-set and behavioral specifications for every model. IDT must comply with our customer's specifications for their systems. We are NOT allowed to distribute OEM drivers to end-users, nor can we make modifications to the drivers outside of these manufacturer's specifications.

Visit Microsoft’s Technical support for additional information regarding Vista: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...rt/default.mspx

Administrator

Mark
Administrator
So the process is :

Select "Control Panel" from the Start button menu
Select "Uninstall a program"
Select "SigmaTel Audio" and click on "Uninstall". If "SigmaTel Audio" does not appear on this dialog, then go to the Alternative method section.
Select OK to confirm removing the previous SigmaTel Audio software.
The following dialog will appear while the software is being removed.
This will uninstall the previous SigmaTel audio device driver from your system.
You can now install an updated driver or reinstall the previously working driver.

Alternative Method:

Select "Control Panel" from the Start button menu
Select "Hardware and Sound" on the Control Panel.
Select "Device Manager" on the Hardware and Sound dialog.
Click on the plus sign (+) next to "Sound, video and game controllers" to display "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC".
Right-click on "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC" and select "Uninstall"
Be sure to check the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox, then select OK.
This will uninstall the previous SigmaTel audio device driver from your system.
You can now install an updated driver or reinstall the previously working driver.

Your driver is

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/OS/VistaUpgra...86_Notebook.zip

Alternative Drivers can be found here for Sony Desktops and Notebooks

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/s...N-FE&m=2547

Just run setup from downloaded folder to install

Kadizade
Thank you very much Mark,
Unfortunately I caanot give you feedback about wether the solution indeed solves the problem since I was already able to solve the problem by rolling back to the preinstalled factory state by using Vaio system recovery tool.

Kadizade
Visitor

Here another solution from
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=1285346&siteid=17

copperminecottage

I believe I have a solution.

Scenario: I bought a new Sony Vaio on Sunday, and upgraded Vista to Vista Ultimate yesterday. Immediately the sound system fell silent. After following other suggestions I checked the updates I had installed following the upgrade to Ultimate. Windows and discovered that Update for Windows Vista (KB929685) says:

"Install this update to address an issue that may prevent high-definition audio devices from initializing after resuming the system from a sleep or hibernation state."

I had put the PC to sleep around that point.

Here is what I did next:

In Conrol Panel -> System -> Select the Device Manager and find the Sound entry. Expand it. Click the entry for High Definiton Audio Device with the right mouse button. Uninstall it and the software too (check the box).

Now put the PC to sleep. When it restarts it will reinstall the Audio device. Meantime the update above (KB929685) seemed to have kicked in and PRESTO - sound again!

Worked for me. Good luck.

romosheb
Visitor

I upgraded Vista Business on my new Sony Vaio VGN-SZ4VWN/X Laptop and the sound stopped functioning.

The way I solved this was a combination of Copperminecottage's and Kadizade's, in that I did the following:

Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features.
Right click on SigmaTel and uninstall.
Force the computer to go into hibernate mode (no reboot necessary).
When it came out of hibernate the drivers were reinstalled and worked.