Join now - be part of our community!

No wireless connection after installing BTHub3 at home

profile.country.en_GB.title
kiemble
Visitor

No wireless connection after installing BTHub3 at home

I have a Vaio PCG-7185M which the support desk tells me is a model VGN-NW20EF/S.  Since installing a BTHub3 at home a few weeks ago, I have lost my wireless connection.  After numerous calls to BT, we have identified it is indeed a problem with the laptop.  Has anyone else experienced this and how to sort it out?  It works fine when on the cable, and also when the laptop is elsewhere, like my office.  Apparently there is a setting issue on the laptop.  Would really appreciate if someone can advise me.  Thanks so much.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kiemble,

As wireless is working with other routers I can only assume that it is a settings problem on the BTHub3 rather than the notebook. Have you checked that wireless settings on the router are set to  802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)?

You could also experiment with ‘Channel Selection’ which is possibly set to ‘Automatic’ – try other channels. Also make sure that Vaio Smart Network is set to 2.4GHz.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
libirch49
Visitor

Hi, I've had the same problem. BT discovered it was a problem with McAfee. I use Norton &, unknown to me, (as I didn't ask or pay for it) Sony had installed McAfee on my new laptop. When Norton was then running, it was conflicting with McAfee. BT were great, Sony useless. BT helped me to uninstall McAfee completely & remove everything to do with it on my lap top. At the same time I had to uninstall Norton & then reinstall it immediately after McAfee had been uninstalled. This sorted the problem out. Hope this helps! Lisa

kiemble
Visitor

Hi Rich and Lisa

Thanks v much for your advice.  However, tried all that, and even spent hours again with BT, the trouble is it seems to work after BT have fiddled with my laptop remotely, but when I go off for an hour and come back to it, no more internet connection and back to square 1.  And also it works for a little while after BT have fiddled with it, but if I reboot, it's all gone again.  Am v frustrated now so if anyone else has any sugggestions, pls let me know!  Ta.

kiemble