Join now - be part of our community!

OCPHelper.exe - Application Error

profile.country.en_GB.title
Storeybook
Visitor

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few things as i bought my new Sony Vaio on Saturday and i'm struggling with it.

The first day it was quite fast and seemed to work brilliantly, then it has gone downhill and become slower and slower. It doesn't load things on the first attempt, skips when watching a video or crashes when attempting to load a facebook game. 

Tonight when i tried to open up Spotify it came up with the following message, then it started saying the same for Norton and other apps.

The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0xd551bf21.

Click on OK to terminate the program

When i try to save something like Malwarebytes i get the following message.

The file or directory is corrupyed and unreadable.

When i try to uninstall something i get the following message.

NSIS Error

Error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid.

I'm not the most technical person in the world so any advice would be helpful as i'm getting quite frustrated that i'm back on my 4 1/2 year old laptop as it is faster than my brand new one.

I am getting that annoying McAfee Online Child Protection thing if that is part of the problem? Otherwise i have a virus or a problem with my brand new notebook and been a girl i might cry!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hannah

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Hannah,

This may very well be connected with the known McAfee Online Child Protection application problem with Windows 8. There has been an automatic update released by McAfee but it would seem that your machine has not received the update.

Have a look at the following thread for more detail on how to overcome this problem.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/826423#826423

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Storeybook
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the advice, i took it back to PC World today and they restored my notebook and took McAffee off so my internet is back up and running as well as most other things.

Now however i can't download Spotify at all or load any Facebook games which is driving me crazy.

I'm not sure what to do with Spotify, it comes up with the below message when i try and install it. I have Norton on which comes up saying it is safe to run so not sure why it isn't.

'The installer was unable to connect to the internet. Please make sure the computer is connected to the internet and that no firewall is blocking the connection and try again

(Error code: 50)

The thing is i am connected to the internet and my firewall has approved Spotify. I managed to download it fine before my Vaio was restored today so i don't understand why it isn't letting me do it now.

With Facebook games it looks like it is starting to load the pages but gets stuck. I've diasbled the ActiveX Filtering but it still won't load and not sure how to fix it.

Getting quite irritated with this machine, i really don't want to have to take it to PC World again when i've only had it a week :

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is a known conflict between McAfee and Norton and there is a possibility that PC World did not remove McAfee completely.

To make sure that all remnants of McAfee are removed follow this link and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

This will hopefully solve the problem.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

link added.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat