Join now - be part of our community!

Operating System Not Found? Help Needed!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
imtansar
Visitor

Operating System Not Found? Help Needed!!!

Hi,

I have a VGN-FS195VP which is 5 year old with Windows XP (SP3).

Last week, after finishing the work I tried to shut it down using the windows shut down command. The computer froze, I gave more than half an hour and after that I switched off using the power button. Next day, I switched it on and I scheduled the disk check error from windows when windows is started again.  It took long time to begin the error check.  After this, machine started and I got the dreaded black screen stating Operating System Not Found?

I gave couple of days and started again on AC power after removing the battery, still no joy.

I had a fresh install (factory setting from the hard disk) of the PC just a couple of month ago.

I have some important data on the hard drive of around 2 months which I need to retrieve.  I would appreciate any suggestions to do this as I am not an expert in computing.  I don't mind buying a new hard disk, which I know I have to but retrieving data is important.  I have read some earlier post but could not figure out what to do in order to retrieve the data!

Thanks

Message was edited by: imtansar

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you cannot recover your system without a clean install, I would remove the hard disc from the Vaio - it's quite easy on this model: -

I would then buy a 2.5 inch IDE Caddy and insert the drive.  As long as the files are not corrupt, you should then be able to search the drive from any computer via USB and copy your files to disc.  It is just Plug'n'Play and no drivers are required.  You need something like this one : -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-2-5-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B00293S9N6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=12869011...

Good Luck

profile.country.en_GB.title
imtansar
Visitor

Main thanks Blencogo!  I plan to buy it this week and inform you all of the result.

Cheers