Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Drive Issues

Rolu
Visitor

Optical Drive Issues

Hi Everybody,

I have been browsing through this forum today for a while and realized that there are all kinds of issues with the optical drives Sony is delivering with their notebooks (but not limited to notebooks). Despite there may be some problems related to incorrect system setup I would regard a significant amount of them as hardware (?) related. I am having such a problem too.
I just wonder whether Sony is aware of this and whether they have identified the root causes of all these issues. Are there any driver related problems or is it a manufacturing problem? I would like Sony being more responsive and active on these quality issues. So far I am very disappointed with the way Sony is handling the problems.

By the way, I also do not appreciate the way Sony is bundling their notebooks with Sony SW packages that aren't really good in my opinion but intend to bind customers to their products. In terms of updates and bug fixing this part (have a look which SW has been updated recently) seems to be far better supported than the pure basics of the system.

Best Regards
Rolu :slight_frown:

73 REPLIES 73
Foxhound
Visitor

haha. ok here's my bump.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You never know Foxhound!! Keep them comming.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well I only hope it works.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

It is odd that Sony put OEM hardware in their laptops/desktops, for instance I have a QSI (Quanta Storage Inc) Combo DVD drive... Surely it would be better to have Sony DVD/CDRW drives instead?!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's what's cheap that counts to them.

yakumo
Visitor

The main problem is why should l have to consider buying an external burner in the first place to rectify Sony's fault?. Its also a hassle since the drive in my laptop is practically dead weight and useless, l wanted ti fixed however, since my showcase is comming up in a month's time l need to go and buy a burner...sigh.

l assumed l was the only person with a problem like this but honestly l'm shocked by the complancy and lack of support for their existing customers.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I second that Kee-Lo!!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
yakumo
Visitor

Scummy Sony

Bump me do

Rolu
Visitor

Hi Guys,

I really didn't expect to kickoff such an avalanche but I very much appreciate the reception. From all I can read it may be a real good idea to keep this post going as long as possible. At the time it becomes long long, Sony at least has a good feedback on how their policy and service is received. I do not expect something will change but that doesn't imply we have to shut up. Eventually by joining forces we may get something started and Sony reconsiders some of their policies.
Sending information like this to PC magazines which regularly evaluate new products might also be a good idea. These magazines are not interested in single cases, but if the issues pile up they might mention it in one of their reviews.
So lets keep going.

Best Regards to Everybody

Rolu

TygerTyger
Visitor

Sony don't read their forum, so they won't know from here. But certainly helps to join up and complain when they mess up :slight_smile: