Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Drive problems: three technical questions for the brave

dj_lobina
Visitor

Optical Drive problems: three technical questions for the brave

Hello everyone,

I have three questions:

a) How can I carry out a Recovery System from an external optical drive? Note that this Optical drive doesn't appear in the BIOS and that Sony e-support merely replied I should contact that (external) drive's manufacturer, which was useless as they referred me back to Sony. Can't carry out a system recovery with the internal drive as this is busted and won't read dvds (the Sony recovery disc is a dvd and the only format Sony will provide). The internal drive needs to be replaced, all the usual solutions have been tried (uninstalling drive, system restore etc). It IS a hardware problem, which brings me to my second question:

b) Whice optical drives are compatible with a Sony Vaio PGC-FR415S? The current drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12D, and I believe there's one other compatible drive around, an LG. Its details will be much appreciated.
This brings me to my last question:

c) After possibly purchasing one of these compatible internal drives, I would like to install it on my laptop. Myself.
I am told this is not too difficult, and should be straightforward. This move would allow me to carry out a system recovery, which is the entire point of all this, as my machine really needs one.

Many thanks, and your help would be much appreciated. For any Londoners out there, a pint is a potential reward.

David Lobina

0 REPLIES 0