Join now - be part of our community!

Other OS

Crybaby
Visitor

Other OS

I'm frankly new to notebooks, and this fr315m is my first one.
From the beginning I started it with the preinstalled windows i didnt feel like it was running smoothly. Is it possible to install any os i want, cause i think the preinstalled is to messy. please help me cause i donno how to on a laptop :slight_frown: .

thanks in advance, crybaby

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah I wish someone would buy Windows ME off me, it's a piece of cr4p.

tellingd
Visitor

I'm running XP Pro on two of my notebooks and XP Home on the other one.  I've found XP to be the most reliable Microsoft O/S ever made (Except for maybe MS-DOS).

I can't remember ever having stability problems with MS-DOS - but then I probably didn't know how to use half of it :laughing:

robpaxton
Explorer

MS-DOS is still used on some of the CNC units at work so I still get to use it. I even have the pleasure of Windows 3.1 on a couple of machines :anguished:

tellingd
Visitor

MS-DOS is still used on some of the CNC units at work so I still get to use it.  I even have the pleasure of Windows 3.1 on a couple of machines  :anguished:

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I remember 3.1 - you could change the colour of the window surround and everything :tongue:

paddy_uk
Visitor

I still have a fully functional 486 in my junk cupboard with Win 3.1 on it & a couple of older jobs in the attic at my mum's house which are MS-DOS jobs. Only reason I haven't binned them is for nostalgia I suppose.

Oxigun
Visitor

The XP home on my notebook was unstable. Installing windows myself (XP Pro) sovled everything. I also have Debian GNU/Linux running (unstable )actually its very stable but the tree is called unstable since its too new to have undergone extensive testing :wink: ))

gordymckellar
Visitor

I have the GRT896hp with P4 2.8Ghz, and

1Gb

RAM.
I use the preinstalled Windows XP pro with one

very important modification

I am using Cenatek's RamdiskXP which allows me to create a RAM drive at bootup, which the operating system can identify for pagefile purposes (requires registry tweak). I did this primarily because Windows memory management is crap (i.e paging to disk when there is still plenty available physical RAM).
Therefore I created a 250Mb RAM drive and allocated 200mb to a fixed size Windows swap file and 50mb to Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files. The system has no hard drive based swapfile whatsoever.
[http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm?Page=Download&Version=Win9X | http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm?Page=Download&Version=Win9X]

[size=18]As for performance, the words "sh*t and shovel" spring to mind !shocked.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=shocked|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=shocked.gif!

There is the slight glitch of the Wireless LAN and it's dislike of the Wireless Zero Configuration service, but this can be (here's hoping) worked around, as discussed elsewhere.

josefnpat
Visitor

I got xp Pro with my laptop... In german... I bought it in ausrtria... someone called Sony and asked them if they could change the language of the notebook to english (same model) and Sony said no... "Impossible"... well i tried anyway... they were right... I couldn't get the SP1 or the SP3 because the code has allready been used... And XP PRO english wouldn't accept my USB 2.0 drivers and my Bluzetooth drivers because they were in german... I decided to use the recovery disk... i'm usin german, but that's ok, i've b3een using german enough.

Seeya

kee-lo_

Yeah I use XP in English.
I've never had a French computer.