Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-505g & PC CardBus

fritzard
Visitor

PCG-505g & PC CardBus

The 505g PC card slot is described as TypeII CardBus compatible but the manual gives virtually no further detail. I would like to add a TypeII (32 bit ?) CardBus hardrive (& possibly other features) using this slot. Being the UK I can't 'try before I buy' so does anyone know if this will this be an expensive mistake? Are all CardBuses equal? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yes, your VAIO supports Type2 32Bit. But compare the minimum hardware configuration. Your VAIO is not much fast for this time.

http://www.vaio-link.com/specifications/specifications.asp?l=de&m=7

Stephanius
Visitor

32bit PCMCIA slots were standard before Sony even started to make Notebooks. If you have a PCMCIA card problem its not due to this. I would not invest in accessory these days for a PCG-505G from 1998. It makes much more sense to buy a new system or save the money for a new system.

Storage that fits into the PCMCIA slot is usually expensive because of miniaturisation, or ages old and doesnt have any storage capacity worth mentioning today.

fritzard
Visitor

Thanks for the info. but the 505 is perfect for the jobs it has to do -performance is not really an issue. It just needs more disk space & I don't want to open it up and risk damaging it to replace the drive. I had considered getting an external firewire harddisk ,but it sort of defeats the point of having a really portable notebook which even my wife is happy to carry about.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Archos do some really small 20GB firewire disks now