Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-C1F Bios update

AndyH
Visitor

PCG-C1F Bios update

Hi, I have a problem loading the bios update for win 2000.
I have downloaded the files and when I try to run them it comes up with : Open failed on Bios ROM image file, then it comes up with : Invalid command.com system haled!

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have a look under the VAIo if there's a pinhole which you can put a pen in to rest your CMOS.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Normally if you get a Open failed on BIOS Image message then the original file may be corrupted and so to prevent destroying your flash area of the BIOS, the flashing tool will terminate.

What flash tool are you using?

WinPhlash for VAIO is the only officially supported Sony update utility provided by VAIO-Link for my K-series VAIO.

Can you still boot into Windows?

kee-lo_

Either that or use a floppy, the only safe way to do it.

AndyH
Visitor

There are a couple of pin holes - When do I press it? With machine off, on or what?

The flash updater is PHlash2 downloaded from Vaio site for this model, but no instructions!!!

I haven't got a floppy drive either, so thats buggered!!!

Will try the pin hole when someone tells me how!

kee-lo_

Not sure, check your manual, DEFINATELY do it when it is OFF.

Try redownloading both files again too.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Try redownloading both files again too.

It definately seems like the WPH seed file is corrupt - mine was processed without a hitch. The WPH file should be 524,428 Bytes. You should check the PHLASH.LOG file for clues. Also note that Phoenix will not provide support for your BIOS - this is Sony's responsibility (god help us).

Try the reset hole first then get the BIOS files again.

kee-lo_

Why do they not publish hash keys to check the file is complete?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Why do they not publish hash keys to check the file is complete?

Hash keys are a little like CRC's - they ensure that the file is intact and more importantly presented to the end user the way the original manufacturer intended.

In the case of Phoenix Technologies LTD, they wrote guide on this and the link is provided below.

Basically a dead BIOS is something every user will want to avoid, the section of interest in the PDF file is part E "Phoenix BootBlock 002".

Phoenix Technologies LTD: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1 (R0110X1)

William
Visitor

I would think that the phlash2.exe file is intended to be run from a floppy drive.

Normally if it is intended for windows use the file is called "winphlash"

You will need the genuine Sony floppy drive listed as an accessory for your model. A generic one will not act as a boot device.

William