Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-FR415B Battary/mains operation

Rob_himself
Visitor

PCG-FR415B Battary/mains operation

Hi,

Whenever i switch this laptops powersupply from the mains to battary, i notice a rather large decrease in performance. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Cheers,

Rob

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

This normally happens with 'Mobile' Pentium chips. However, I understand that your model ships with a 2.8GHz Celeron, and so there should be no change in performance on battery or mains.

What exactly do you mean by "a rather large decrease in performance"?

Rob_himself
Visitor

yeah, mine is a celeron 2.8. Simple operations take alot longer, for example if typing a word document it takes alot longer for characters tyoed to appear. It takes longer for applications to load, and the task manager shows that 100% of the cpu is being used constantly.

Cheers,
Rob

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Look in task manager and see what applications are running - if you are simply using word you should not be using 100% cpu - it's only a word processor :anguished:

TheFrog
Visitor

Yeah, I agree with Dave, check what processes are running, it could be a virus :!:

stevep-4
Visitor

This is unlikely to be a virus, but check it out. The processor should not hike up to 100%. Perhaps a function is not working properly.

With a centrino laptop, you have a program called powerpanel. It is possible that this program is currupt and not doing its thing properly...or maybe a setting within the profiles is not correct, or not possible.

You will notice that the screen brightness changes, possibly the CD will not work, the memory stick slot wont work etc

There are a lot of functions that can be adjusted to extend the battery life when the computer is running on batteries only. In this instance, you will find that the setting for performance is set to full power when on mains, but QUEIT when running on batteries. That means that the processer will run at a slower speed, will be cooler, and therefore will not need so much cooling fan (hence QUIETER).

click on the icon in the taskbar (next to the clock) and check/adjust your power profiles.