Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Notebook PCG-X18 of year 2000 / memory upgrade

Kunte
Visitor

VAIO Notebook PCG-X18 of year 2000 / memory upgrade

[size=18]

My PCG-X18 needs Memory upgrade. The tutorials do not tell me how to remove the stoppers at the bottom of the keyboard. I tried and I could not remove them. Help.

18 REPLIES 18
stevep-4
Visitor

You can download a user manual for the X18 from . www.vaiolink.com

As I remember (from my old X9)

you must remove a screw from the underneath of the laptop.

once you have done this, using a small screwdriver (or your fingernail) fidn the two little latches at the bottom edge of the keyboard (near the CTRL and Pg Dn keys). Just push these down (away from the keyboard) and the keyboard will pop up and can then be lifted out of the way

You can install a maximum of 256mb of ram. you probably have the original 128mb, which will be 2* 64mb banks. Therefore, to maximise the memory, you must discard to original memory!

Go to www.crucial.com for details of new memory prices. $59.99 each.

Kunte
Visitor

Tks for the response. I was in the link n followed the tutorials. I located the stop tabs but how do I take them out/remove them.

stevep-4
Visitor

You do not remove the stop tabs. They are on springs. Just move them towards you (assuming you are facing the computer). The keybard should pop up (assuming you have removed the screw from underneath the computer which locks the keybard down - Page 117)

if you downlaod the manual for your machine
http://www.vaio-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=146&c=0

you will find s tutorial on pages 114 - 120

profile.country.BE.title
aranloko
New

Description of the upgrade procedure itself :http://www.vaio-link.com/tutorials/memory/memory.asp?m=146&l=en&ts=odw

Kunte
Visitor

You do not remove the stop tabs. They are on springs. Just move them towards you (assuming you are facing the computer). The keybard should pop up (assuming you have removed the screw from underneath the computer which locks the keybard down - Page 117)

if you downlaod the manual for your machine
http://www.vaio-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=146&c=0

you will find s tutorial on pages 114 - 120
Are there 2 stops, left n right?
Well, I did as instructed but it didn't work.

stevep-4
Visitor

If I get home this weekend and can find the old X9 (dad has it) i'll take a few photos and try to upload them here

Kunte
Visitor

If I get home this weekend and can find the old X9 (dad has it) i'll take a few photos and try to upload them here

If it still doesn't work I think I will just trade it in for a more powerful VAIO.

stevep-4
Visitor

Unfortunately, while the X9 and X18 were top of the range kit at the time they were released, you can hardly give them away these days (about £300 on ebay)

Kunte
Visitor

Unfortunately, while the X9 and X18 were top of the range kit at the time they were released, you can hardly give them away these days (about £300 on ebay)

Yea, n SONY doesn't do trade-in. How much should I ask to sell it off?