Join now - be part of our community!

CPU Spike Problem (PCG-GRT915M)

byron_hinson
Visitor

CPU Spike Problem (PCG-GRT915M)

Got a strange problem with a brand new laptop from Sony. Every few minutes the CPU will jump from 2% usage to 50/60% usage, this also causing a pause if I'm typing and stop the mouse from moving if I am using that at the time too.

The strange thing here is that none of the running processes ever shows as taking up the 50/60% usage time, so it seems to be a problem else where. One thing of note is that when I switch off the wireless connection it doesn't happen. I've also noticed that the fan will spin faster inside whenever this CPU spike occurs.

The laptop also doesn't have any viruses and I have run adaware to make sure nothing else is causing it.

Any help would be great as I have tried everything from stopping programs on start up to removing items process by process but nothing seems to stop it other than a shut down then turning back on the laptop, again that can be hit or miss.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

This was the subject of much debate several months ago. It seems that there is in fact a problem with the Sony wireless card (allegedly). I do not use wireless myself so am not able to explain fully but if you switch the wireless card off completely you will not get this spike.

Sorry couldn't be any more help - perhaps Sony themselves have come up with a workaround by now :thinking:

byron_hinson
Visitor

I had a feeling it was the wireless card because, as you stated - when I switch it off it doesn't happen. Does anyone know if a fix is out for it yet? Or if it will get fixed, considering I bought this laptop for Wireless access it'll be going back if not.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Sorry Byron, I am unaware of any fix, but as I said others are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

If you want the Sony and wireless you might consider getting another wireless card. I don't think there are currently any that will fit as snugly as the Sony but they may work with the CPU a little better.

HTH

byron_hinson
Visitor

I would go out and buy a new wireless card if it wasn't for the fact I have had this laptop just under a week and it has a problem that to me is enough to warrent returning it especially if it is a known problem that is still without a fix. Just not a good start to my first ever Sony laptop.

Byron Hinson
Microsoft MVP
http://www.activewin.com

stevep-4
Visitor

If you have registered the laptop, go to www.vaiolink.com and click on Support. There will be all the drivers for your laptop. there may well be an updated driver for your wireless card which deals with the issue.

byron_hinson
Visitor

Unfortunatly nothing new there other than graphic and mouse drivers