Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Notebook PCG-X18 of year 2000 / memory upgrade

Kunte
Visitor

VAIO Notebook PCG-X18 of year 2000 / memory upgrade

[size=18]

My PCG-X18 needs Memory upgrade. The tutorials do not tell me how to remove the stoppers at the bottom of the keyboard. I tried and I could not remove them. Help.

18 REPLIES 18
Sul
Visitor

Cool I got a x18 lappy as well, I'm not ever selling it, I'm keeping it for show, maybe as an ornament. :smileygrin:

Kunte
Visitor

If I get home this weekend and can find the old X9 (dad has it) i'll take a few photos and try to upload them here

If it still doesn't work I think I will just trade it in for a more powerful VAIO.

Finally got it. I managed to open the thing. Now I just got to get the upgrades.

Kunte
Visitor

You do not remove the stop tabs. They are on springs. Just move them towards you (assuming you are facing the computer). The keybard should pop up (assuming you have removed the screw from underneath the computer which locks the keybard down - Page 117)

if you downlaod the manual for your machine
http://www.vaio-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=146&c=0

you will find s tutorial on pages 114 - 120

OK, finally got it. Went out to Media Markt n got a 128MB 133Hz Kingston SODIMM.
But this didn't work - the notebook didn't even start or it said a WINDOWS error. so should I get only an original SONY memory?

stevep-4
Visitor

It sounds like teh memory is either defective, or not installed propery

Kunte
Visitor

It sounds like teh memory is either defective, or not installed propery

No, not likely. I installed many times. Now maybe I should order the original from Sony.

stevep-4
Visitor

Does the laptop work with the original memory re-installed??

If it does, then your new memory is not working, or is an incorrect specification. Speak to the supplier

Kunte
Visitor

Does the laptop work with the original memory re-installed??

If it does, then your new memory is not working, or is an incorrect specification. Speak to the supplier

Yes, without problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like dodgy RAM.

stevep-4
Visitor

Yep. The memory is kaput. Take it back to the supplier and get a refund.

Many here suggest using www.crucial.com for memory.