Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K415S RAM update

Tyaculo
Visitor

PCG-K415S RAM update

Hey everybody,
I was wondering if some of you could help me out here.
The trouble I had lately with my slow and inconsistent performance has been fixed by a complete, factory settings and all, recovery.
Now I'm updating the RAM.

I bought 1 512MB card because that was the last one, I'm getting the other one Monday.
So I did as Vaio told me; removed the battery, and replaced one of the 256 RAM cards with my new 512 one.
Then I rebooted and checked the BIOS, but it still says 512MB in total.

The 512MB card is from 'Corsair', type: VS512SDS333
On the card it says: 512MB Memory Module, 200-PIN DDR, SO-DIMM

Could it be that the Corsair won't work together with the original vaio one? Or do I need to do something else before it works.
Thanks in advance,
Tyaculo

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tyaculo,

I have seen this before with some of the 'Ultra' types of memory module.

I suggest you wait until Monday and see if a matched pair are recognised OK.

:wink:

Tyaculo
Visitor

I am not quite sure what you mean with 'ultra' type, but I'll just wait until Monday and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice!
Tyaculo

Tyaculo
Visitor

-=Update=-

I removed the two 256mb cards and inserted the 512MB one on it's own.
Now the BIOS says there's only a 256mb inserted. I returned the card to the store.

Today I bought a new card, a more expansive brand.
It also says '256MB present' if inserted on it's own.
I don't get it, does this have something to do with my BIOS or something? Or should I perform a recovery (this seems useless).
I hope someone knows a solution to this problem.
Thanks in advance,
Tyaculo

Illuminatus
Visitor

Hi,

I bought the following for my PCG-K315Z and worked OK.

It was sold as "Memory/512MB Id Sony Vaio"

They were "Kingston - Memory - 512 MB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR - 333 MHz / PC2700"

All the best.

Tyaculo
Visitor

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I hear the name 'Kingston' a lot. However, it is not available at any store near my house. Did you buy yours online? If so, could you tell me where?

I just tried installing the 512MB card together with a 256MB card and ran a program I downloaded from www.crucial.com
It still says I only have two 256mb cartridges inserted :cry:

If I can't find any other solution to this problem, I'll return my current 512mb card and order Kingston online. The only problem is that if it doesn't work, it'll be harder to return it (at least I think so, I have no experience with this).

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Tyaculo

Have you tried ordering from Crucial , they guarantee that there memory is compatible or they will refund your money.. :wink:

Tyaculo
Visitor

Have you tried ordering from Crucial , they guarantee that there memory is compatible or they will refund your money.. :wink:

Yeah that might be the best way to go :slight_smile: I'll see what the standard return procedure is at Crucial's (just to be prepared for the worse :wink: ).
I'll probably return the 512MB card friday, since I'll have time then and maybe Vaio eSupport will come up with another solution in the meantime.

Thanks for your reaction!

Illuminatus
Visitor

Hi Tyaculo,

I bought mine online ... it was pricey, I thought, but did not want to make a mistake

I got it from

http://www.ballicom.com

Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
rastrus
New

I bought my memory from Crucial four months ago after reading various recommendations on this forum and have not had a problem (2 x 512MB RAM, 200-pin SODIMM for the PCG-K215Z). Total cost was £92.20 including delivery.