Join now - be part of our community!

PCV-LX2 fails to start

dcbright
Visitor

PCV-LX2 fails to start

When I switched on my SONY PCV-LX2 today I was presented with the following message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then said put in the WinXP CD and press 'r' to repair.

But the product recovery CD-ROM supplied with the PC does not have this option. What should I do as I do not want to do a complete recovery and lose the data on my C drive.

Thanks

David Seabright
:thinking:

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I think you can use the XP setup floppy disks from Microsoft to run the recovery console. They are at XP Home and XP Pro

Then follow the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B307545

I've never tried it though so can't be sure it'll work - I'm lucky enough to have a couple of full install disks.

dcbright
Visitor

Thanks for your reply but it won't work. Have already tried it with the XP Pro installation disk!!! If you notice on the Microsoft site it says:

'Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords ........'

However, Microsoft does not go on to say what to do if you do have an OEM installation!!

Cheers

kee-lo_

So when you put your recovery CD in there's no option to boot into the XP Recovery Console?

dcbright
Visitor

No!! You can only do a total restore that re-partitions the C drive.

dcbright
Visitor

Just had a reply from Sony's e-support saying that a recovery is the only option - which re-formats the disk!!:smileysad:

Lucky I have back-ups - it's just the hassle of spending the next few days re-installing everything when I have better things to do!!!

Thanks to all that have viewed and responded to this message.

If anyone does have a solution I would love to hear as I probably won't re-install until the weekend.:smileycry:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Sonys method of installation doesn't usually leave many options for doing it your own way so I suspect it really is the only way. Congratulations on getting e-support, in all the time I've been here you are the first person I've seen get it to work.

kee-lo_

God that sucks.
They should have the recovery console for advanced users.

TygerTyger
Visitor

They should also make it easier/possible to have XP Pro/something else without asking at the forum and praying it works.

kee-lo_

They should also make it easier/possible to have XP Pro/something else without asking at the forum and praying it works.

Something like a step up disk would be perfect.