Join now - be part of our community!

Please add a comment to this if you think VAIO battery life is poor and support inadequate

profile.country.en_GB.title
bjpce.co.uk
Visitor

Please add a comment to this if you think VAIO battery life is poor and support inadequate

My VAIO VPCEC2SOE is 1 year old and has hardly been used on battery as it has been mostly used at home.

From the very beginning the battery checker software has been set to extend battery life which it does by only charging to 80%.

Despite this the battery life is appalling and Sony support are simply not interested.

When it is unplugged, it rapidly says there is less than an hour of battery life left and it then shuts down suddenly with no warning after about 20 minutes of very light use with a dim screen.
The warning about low battery life shows for just a fraction of a second before an uncontrolled shutdown which results in "windows did not shut down properly" warnings on starting up again with power.

I am just hoping either:

1) someone else has found a solution and that it is a setting not the battery that is the problem

or

2) enough people kick up a fuss that Sony finally admit there is a problem

There are thousands of posts in various forums about lousy VAIO batteries.

I cannot believe how poor the support is - by phone they just say they will send an email which has the help you can look up online. If you log a problem online you get an email telling you to phone a premium rate phone number.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
androber0
Explorer

my first vaio battery lasted barely six months old before it died. sony replaced it free. the second one died seven months in just out of warranty and i seldom ever use the laptop without the power cable. i think it may be the fact that it is always charging kills the life of the battery.

the only solution i suppose would be to take the battery out when using the power cable but then if the power lead got pulled out you mess up your laptop!

i have a vgn-fz31z so i went to ebay and got a third party battery wich is chunky but has four hours life rather than the sony one hour life for sixty quid. two years on and it is still going strong.

my girl has an apple and it lasts for about 4-5 hours compared to my sixty minute sony powered wonder. also four months in the hard drive died, last year the graphics card died.

saying that, the breakdown service was excellent, they replaced the graphics card free because it was a common flaw.

i love my vaio when it is working but sony need to get their finger out or my next laptop may just be an apple!

profile.country.el_GR.title
pankonto
Visitor

I don't reply because I think the support sucks but I haven't used it so I can't have an opinion.Now for your problem I solved it by

1.Going to VAIO Control Center

2.Then go to Battery Charged Fuctions

3.Then disselect(disable) the box of [Enable Battery Care Fuction].

Now my battery charges at 100% from 80%. Also before I do that my battery was saying that i only have 1 hour and 55 min left (and it lasted for so long) but when it was time to close it closed normally and when i opened again my laptop it was saying start windows normaly and started fine without any message of problems or causing any problems to my software at all,(so check if your battery is problematic).

Hope this helps write a reply saying what happened.

Message was edited by: pankonto

Message was edited by: pankonto