Join now - be part of our community!

Power Calibration Error

bop319
Visitor

Power Calibration Error

Hello Everybody!

Ever since I did a full system recovery I'm not able to burn Dual-layer DVD's anymore. I keep getting a Power Calibration Error (or Power Calibration Area Error). Anyone know anything about this?
Just for extra info: It DID work in the beginning, just not anymore after the recovery.

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi bop319,

Have you checked if there is any updates for you drive.

Do you get a power callibration error message when a DVD, CD or both types of media..?

It could be dirt or dust causing the problem, you could try cleaning the disc drive using a CD/ DVD drive cleaning disc if you have one..:smileyhappy:

bop319
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

thanks for your reply.
I've checked for updated drivers for my drive (matshita UJ-832D) and couldn't find any. I found this quite surprising since the driver I use now is quite old (7/1/2001).

I only have the problem with Dual-Layer DVD's and it's only since I've done a system recovery. Before that I had no problems at all.

regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bop319,

What model Vaio do you have?
What firmware version are you using for the U832?
What software are you using and has it been updated after re-installation?

If it's as old as the drivers it would be before DL discs were available. I see the VGN-S4XP (which uses this drive) has a firmware upgrade V1.03 dated 5/12/2005.

:thinking:

bop319
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I've got the VGN-SZ2XP. Actually don't know which firmware update I've got, how do I correcly check this, cause in my device manager it says nothing at firmware.

I've Tried Nero, Alcohol120% and Roxio. All newest versions and all the same problem. Also tried multiple DL-DVD's so I'm a bit lost at the moment. :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I've got the VGN-SZ2XP. Actually don't know which firmware update I've got, how do I correcly check this, cause in my device manager it says nothing at firmware.

Nero Info Tool will provide this information and also detail the read/write capabilities of the drive.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Power Calibration normally refers to the area of optical media (thats CD's, DVD's and the like) that the laser uses to adjust the writing power of the laser. This area must be free from dirt and debris, and is located near the central spindle hole in all CD's and DVD's.

What make of Optical Media are you using? Try using a different make of dual-layer media.

Personally, my favourite is Sony or TDK CD's and DVD's as these are very much less likely to fail.

Failing this, get your drive repaired by Sony if it is still under the standard guarantee or extended guarantee(s).

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Had that problem on my GRX so I cleaned the tray and it works perfecly now.

profile.country.en_GB.title
JBolanos
Visitor

I have the same problem with my optical drive MATSHITA UJ-832D of my vaio VGN-S5XP try to install the latest driver KMFOPD-01103400-UN still no joy.

Does sony have any plans to release a new driver to solve this problem?

Try different makes and only two of them actually allow me to burn Sony and TDK without getting the calibration error.