Join now - be part of our community!

Power Management problems (LCD Brightness)...

Snowball2
Visitor

Power Management problems (LCD Brightness)...

I have a brand new FGN-FE21B. When running on batteries, the screen goes to brightness level 1. When I try to increase the brightness using the Fn hotkey, it does so only temporarily and then reverts to level 1. I tried chaning to a power scheme with 'no change' selected in the LCD brightness setting, but have the same problem!

Also, when I try to modify a power scheme, I get the following error: Power Policy Manager unable to set policy (this is in the blue bar of the popup error window). Indicates two revision levels are incompatible (in the main area of the popup).
Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Oh erm thats odd lol

Normally the problem is eliminated by setting the VAIO Power Manager on the Power Control Panel to Brightness Level 9 (Light).

It would be worth trying to install the Sony Utilities package again to see if reinstalling the Sony Shared Libraries will do the trick.

Run the file C:\UTILS\UTILS.EXE to kickstart the setup program.

Otherwise there is one more thing you can try...

From BIOS, as the computer starts, just after the SONY or VAIO logo(s) appear, press a few times until you enter setup - its not easy to get the timing right so you may go through several reboot cycles lol.

When you get into SETUP, move to the ADVANCED page using the arrow keys, scroll down with the down arrow key to the Hotkey Events Code. Select a new hotkey event code from there.

Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Hope one of these works...

Snowball2
Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had tried doing the bios thing and it didn't work. Somehow the problem went away when I performed a second reboot... I selected another power scheme, did a reboot, and it was fine. I have no idea what was up and why it didn't work the first time I rebooted.

Anyway, case closed for now, hopefully it will be ok :slight_smile: