Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with shutdown - Possible power adapter/battery problem?

profile.country.el_GR.title
wendor
Visitor

Problem with shutdown - Possible power adapter/battery problem?

Hello all, i have a problem with my vaio laptop.

Problem started when i suddenly noticed that my battery was dead after 1,5 year of the purchase. It appears as unknown. I dont know if it is actually dead or there is a problem with the charge.

Next day i used the adapter to use laptop and it shutdowns randomly. It can be after 2 minutes of use or even 5hours of e.g surfing in the web. It usually shutdowns when i try to play a video game but i can also shutdown when watch movie/youtube etc. Many times after the shutdown i press power button to start again and it dont even start, button gets green for 1-2 sec and then its off.

I cleared the fan cuz i thought maybe it was an overheating problem, fan had some dust but problem continues.

I also noticed that when i press power button now it takes longer for the laptop to load windows, Before it would start in 1 sec, now it takes 3-4(to start loading the windows)

I dont know what problem can be, as it can be from power supply/adapter/video card/motherboard and i would like some expert opinion.

i have upgraded rams about 4 months ago and changed damaged keyboard about 1 month ago but i think i did all correct since laptop was working perfectly.

thanks for your time reading this, sorry for my bad english and i am looking forward for an answer

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi wedor,

Have you tried removing the battery and then run on AC adaptor only?

If the notebook continues to shut down randomly then download a utility such as PC Wizard and let us know the processor temperatures when running any application that causes unexpected shutdown.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/PC-Wizard-Release.shtml

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.el_GR.title
wendor
Visitor

Hello Rich,

and thank you for your answer.

Yes, i have tried removing the battery and run only on ac adaptor, problem remains.

Last night i downloaded the program, i run a game for about 4 hours with average temperature at 54-56 C. i then terminated windows and tried to open it up and it wouldnt open(power button getting green for 1 sec, then went off). tried 3 times with same results. i unplugged the ac adaptor, and reconnected it. notebook started again, after 5 min it shutdown again. i again unplugged ac adaptor left it for 5min, reconnect it and pc ran smoothly for another 2 hours with no problems.

im confused as i dont know which part has problem(motherboard,ac adaptor etc)

I can run again pc wizard to give u results from the temperatures if needed

question: is there a log file where pc temperatures are kept when pc shutdowns?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi wendor,

The temperature you report is well within the normal operating perameters so I doubt that overheating of the CPU is the cause. I'm not aware of any utility that will provide CPU temperature at shutdown but someone else may...

This leaves either the power adaptor or power board. Most power adaptors have a thermal cutout which may possibly explain why when you leave the notebook off for a while it will power up.

If by any chance you know of someone with a compatible adaptor you could test this theory. If not then purchasing a new adaptor will cost in the region of £25 and maybe worth the expense as it will cost you  at least that to get a diagnosis.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat