Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with the X-Black LCD

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Problem with the X-Black LCD

Hi guys, I know this is bad for a VAIO Master to be asking for help, but anyway....

The problem with my LCD I noticed is it displays a "dark grey smudge" over the bottom centre of the display when the LCD is on its lowest intensity (Level 1) and the computer is running on batteries...

As soon as I adjust the LCD intensity to Level 9 Maximum this disappears completely, and the fault does NOT show up when the computer is connected to the AC power supply...

Any idea whats wrong? Is it the coating on the screen?, Its an odd fault...

Its a repair job right? It can't go for repair till after the New Year and even then well into the new year when I don't need my PC as much...

30 REPLIES 30
Jay1
Visitor

When the power is plugged in and you have adjusted the level to 1 with the power there. Does it still show a smudge?

TygerTyger
Visitor

Good question Jay. I can't see any grey smudge on the pictures, to me in fact it looks lighter than the surrounding areas, like a sort of light leak? If that is what you mean then mine has exactly the same, in fact it's the reason I joined the forum in the first place. Mine leaks from the top centre so I can only assume it's something to do with the screen and nothing else. Had I realised it was a fault I would have had it seemed to, I just thought it was a quirk of the Vaio screens. And actually since I never have the screen that dim I never thought about it again until now.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe they'll see to it now it's in repair?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Well I have now dimmed the screen to its lowest (Level 1) setting and the smudge is not apparent just yet but its early days:smileywink: ...

If that is what you mean then mine has exactly the same, in fact it's the reason I joined the forum in the first place. Mine leaks from the top centre so I can only assume it's something to do with the screen and nothing else. Had I realised it was a fault I would have had it seemed to, I just thought it was a quirk of the Vaio screens. And actually since I never have the screen that dim I never thought about it again until now.

Hmmm Odd isn't it? Maybe mine does have the light-leakage thing, it could be a quirk. What I thought about doing is dimming the screen, and running the system on batteries, and then photographing the display on a pure white 1024x768 template, and if Kee-Lo or anyone else for that matter wouldn't mind displaying it on the forum, then you would have my utmost gratitude and a clearer idea of the "problem".

Thanks guys!

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Well its appeared on AC Power, although not as bad as when on batteries.... I will take a photo of the display when its showing a 1024x768 pure white (R,G,B 255) image with the camera, then if anyone is kind enough to post it for me then you will see exactly what I mean.

kee-lo_

Good idea James.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

OK Thanks Kee-Lo, I will email this to you via Gmail and mark out the grey smudge area.

Be about 10 mins whilst I wrestle with this s*** camera of mine...:smileylaugh:

kee-lo_

<a href="http://members.lycos.co.uk/dwallpapers2001/vaio-village/JamesMold/fault.jpg" target="_blank"><span style="color: skyblue"><b><u>Screen with white background</b></u></span></a>

I had similar on a Tosh, but it was tiny (size of a penny)

BurastA
Visitor

I had the same problem with my old acer. but it turned out to be alright by itself in time. I did not understand neither why there had been such a thing nor why it got well :smileyhappy:. At least I could get driver updates when i had an acer:smileysad:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Hm....... I'll tell you what it looks like to me, it looks like the effect you get on a CRT monitor when you put something magnetic or a large electrical device right next to it, you know what I mean? Since it's at the bottom of the screen I might hazard a guess that it's the speakers since they are right next to it on that model. But uh, that really is a guess. I'm pretty sure I saw the same effect on mine but I can't test it right now and it was so unnoticable that I didn't really pay attention.