Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with wireless :-(

ppb1987
Visitor

Problems with wireless :-(

Hey guys, I hope that someone can help me!

I am having a problem with the wirelss on my Vaio VGN-FS215Z. The wireless signal in my house is "excellent or very good" everywhere, yet I still keep getting disconnected from the internet and my computer is "acquiring network address". I am the only other person who seems to be having this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm going to have to book my laptop in for a service at PC World or somewhere 😞

Many thanks.

Paul

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Paul,

Check if the wireless transmitter is configured to act as a DCHP Server - does it allocate IP addresses automatically.

If it is then set up your Vaio to 'Obtain IP Address Automatically'.

If it is not then you will have to give your Vaio a unique Static IP Address within the IP Address Range acceptable to the wireless transmitter.

It is also worth going to Device Manager and under Network Adapters, double-click on your wireless card. Under Power Management make sure it is set for Maximum Performance.

:wink:

ppb1987
Visitor

hey thanks for your post- yes the IP address is assigned by the DHCP according to the wireless networking status info. How do I go about making my vaio set the IP automatically then? Please help!! It's driving me mad!

Regards,

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately DHCP is the default - but best check it anyway. Bit long winded I'm afraid !

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Right-click on the Wireless Local Connection and choose Properties.
Under General click on and highlight 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click on Properties.
Under General make sure 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically' is selected.
Click on Advanced and under IP Settings make sure DHCP is Enabled.
Click on the Tab WINS and select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

You can check two other things !

Start -> Right-click 'My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Double-click on 'Services' (You will have to expand the window to see everything)
Check the following Services are set to Automatic and are Started: -
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Plug and Play
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call
Server
SSDP
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Terminal Services
Workstation

Check you have been given an IP address by the wireless transmitter: -
Start -> Run -> CMD -> IPCONFIG /ALL
What is the IP Address?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah sometimes drop outs happen, I have a spate of them then they stop.

ppb1987
Visitor

Hey,

thanks for your help- I tried the steps that you suggested above but it hasn't seemed to resolve the issue 😞 and when I the run/ip etc thing to determine the IP address for the computer, the black box flashes up and then disappears within a second so I can't see what the actual IP address is 😞

Any more help would be greatly appreciated 😞

Regards,

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Oh dear - we seem to be running out of ideas Paul.

In the Run box, type
CMD (and Enter)
to bring up the black command box. then type
IPCONFIG /ALL (and Enter)

:wink:

ppb1987
Visitor

Yeah I know that ideas are getting short! oh dear! 😞 My I.P address off the router seems to be 192.168.2.1

Now what....?!?

Regards,

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That looks like the Router has allocated an IP address correctly using DHCP. If your Vaio had not obtained a valid IP, the address would start with the default 165.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Was there also an Internet IP address listed under PPP/WAN?

Does it work if you move the Vaio out of your room and nearer to the Router?

:thinking:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Ummm, I've had same problem. But then I noticed that 3 numbers of my used password was wrong. Did you check that you use the correct password? (if your wlan is secured)