Join now - be part of our community!

Re Installing microsoft software

profile.country.en_GB.title
wmmxt15
Visitor

Re Installing microsoft software

I bought Microsoft Office 2010 which came with the disc and product key. To save any duplication I de-installed the original software my computer came with and installed the software from my disc. I have since found that the software I bought is counterfeit and is no longer working. Is it possible to download and reinstall Office to return my computer to the condition it came. I can discard this pirated stuff, purchase a product key to actvate the software and try again. Thanks. Mick.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mick,

The only way to reinstall the preinstalled Microsoft Office software is to restore your Vaio to factory condition and start again as if brand new.  Generally speaking, this can be done by opening the Vaio Recover Centre and choosing a full recovery, or by tapping F10 during startup - when you see the first Vaio logo onscreen.

You don't say what model Vaio you have so I don't know if you had a 60 day trial version of office or if you had the Office 2010 Starter Edition preinstalled.  If you would like to let us know your model, one of us will give you a link to your Recovery Guide which will guide you through the recovery.

:wink:

wmmxt15
Visitor

Thanks for the reply and info. My model is PCG 61511M. It sounds like I will lose the bit and pieces I have set up. eg Itunes. I have a portable hard drive so maybe I can transfer to that and then recover from there. You mention there may be different packages installed. Will this make a difference to the activation key I purchase eg can I activate Home and Office or Student, If I decide not to have Outlook? Thanks Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, you are quoting an invalid model type.  I guess you have a VPCEE***** model (look on the screen surround for this model type) which will have Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition preinstalled.  This version provides basic office functionality without advanced Office features.  Have a look here: -

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/office/pages/office_2010_starter.aspx

When you decide to upgrade to a full Office package, you may find this link useful: -

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/upgrade-microsoft-office-starter-2010/

:wink:

wmmxt15
Visitor

Thanks again. The model is VPCEE3ZOE. Unfortunately I think I have uninstalled the original package. I rushed ahead to install the software I had purchased, thinking all would be ok. It seems the starter package would actually have suited my needs. I could have saved myself money and hassle If I had known this in the first place - Oh well you live and learn. Cheers.