Join now - be part of our community!

Re-Installing/Repairing ISATAP Drivers ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
thundachild
Visitor

Re-Installing/Repairing ISATAP Drivers ?

Can someone guide me through re-installing the Sony Vaio Drivers

Please excuse my ignorance, I can use a computer, I understand the mechanics/electronics of a computer and could build one… but I have a dyslexic understanding of codes, programming and setting them up etc.

I have been trying to resolve a problem with Internet Explorer 9 going slow, but in doing so have fumbled my way into more problems.Full details in my thread “Update Drivers and Slow internet Explorer”.(my tale
of woe that has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now) but I think this would be better dealt with one thing at a time.

I uninstalled the ISATAP#11 driver following advice on a Microsoft Forum only to make the problem worse. So reading other advice it appears I should re-install it along with all the original Sony Drivers to repair the other faulty drivers and any updates from the Sony Website .

I found the correct file for the drivers for my laptop, a VGN-C2Z/B, on the Sony Support pages and tried to do it but got a bit lost with the directions. When it got to run or save I wasn’t sure so I clicked run, and
after that had no idea as it just came up with the window showing all the computers folders/files etc and that was tabbed through to the file location for drivers.
But  there were no instructions and I have no idea where to look for the files that load the drivers, what they are called, or how to reload / re-install them.

Many thanks, for reading, hopefully someone can help.

Peter

Message was edited by: thundachild

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi thundachild,

Before going down the route of reinstalling all Sony drivers have you successfully re-installed the Microsoft ISATAP device?

As you say better dealt with one thing at a time..

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thundachild
Visitor

Rich,

Thanks for answering, but I have to say you definately have the better of me... ,. If I want to re-install the Mictosoft ISATAP Device where do I find it and how do I re-install it?

The one I uninstalled following the Microsoft Forum thread advice was ISATAP Adapter #11, but I am also getting a code 31 errors on ISATAP Adapter#2, #9 and #15.

Regards

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi thundachild,

I can’t say that I know why the error messages are being received on various adaptors on the Microsoft ISATAP device, nor indeed why anyone would suggest uninstalling this to cure slow IE response as the device is there to allowing the newer IPv6 protocol to work inside the older IPv4 protocols so I doubt this is the problem.

Being uncertain of how you have removed this and if you suspect that there is a problem with it I can only suggest that you try the following:

Open Control Panel > Device Manager > Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.

Expand Network Adaptors > Right click Microsoft ISATAP and select Uninstall > click OK – I suggest that you do this for each if you have multiple instances of this device.

Then Click ‘Action’ and select Add Legacy Hardware.

On the window that opens click Next.

Select ‘Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)’ option and click "Next." You will then be presented with a list of hardware types in a new window.

Under manufacturer select Microsoft.

Under Network Adaptor scroll down to and select ‘Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor and click Next.

Click Finish when the install is complete and restart the computer.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thundachild
Visitor

Rich,

Many thanks,

Have run through your directions and it has removed ISATAP warning triangles on the Device manager......There are three however’s:

(1) I only uninstalled the 3 lines “Microsoft ISATAP Adapter   #2” , and #9 and #15 as these were the only ones with the little yellow warning triangles. I had previously uninstalled #11 the same way.

I then reinstalled using the “Add Legacy hardware” and the device manager only showed one of the original line entries “Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #9” without the warning triangle. After re-booting this line completely disappeared from the device manager. (I am hoping that is what was supposed to happen).

(2) Under Network adapters there are a lot of other lines and most are other ISATAP entries, but without any warning triangle and on checking properties apparently all are working OK. But I am not sure if you wanted me to uninstall these as well before reinstalling as they appear to be duplicates.

4 lines show “isatap.(and then a long code)” and two of those have exactly the same code.

8 lines just show “isatap.home”

Checking “Properties” on each they appear to be exactly the same and in the “Device Driver” every one of the 12 lines above show the same driver file and file version. Will try and attach a Copy of screen print, can
send copies for all 12 if relevant, if I can, but they appear to be identical.

(3) Assuming above is normal and as expected then this has not (as you already told me) resolved the time it is taking to load IE9.

Got any suggestions, I listed what I have already tried in my earlier thread. Start up, change to new web site and new tabs are now often taking several (like 5 minutes) to load.

Many Thanks for your time,

Regards

Peter

Message was edited by: thundachild

PS Couldnt add screen print to reply so I added to start of this thread as a file attachment. But now I see I can add it below in edit   ?.....So here we go.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Peter,

1)     This device, being a hidden device, will only show in the normal view of Device Manager if it has a problem, so it is usual that after a reboot it disappeared.

2)    Under normal circumstance there will only be one instance of ISATAP (with long code) and ISATAT.home. You can safely remove any identical duplicates, one at a time, each removal followed by a reboot. I suspect that the duplications are a result of earlier attempts to rectify the problem. That said I doubt that they will cause any issues so you may wish to ignore unless there is a problem.

3)    If you suspect, and have been advised,  that iPV6 is the cause if the IE problem (I don’t) then try disabling this under Network Connection Properties – Open Network and Sharing Center > Click Manage network connections > Right click the relevant LAN connection and select Properties – uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and click OK and reboot.

Regarding the problem with slow response in IE I suggest you first try resetting Internet Explorer settings – Open IE > Click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Restore advanced settings.

I am not a fan of IE (in fact I rarely use it and then only for troubleshooting) and therefore suggest that if you continue to have problems then try Firefox. If this works without problems you will at least know that it is an issue within IE and not a system setting.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The following link may be of further help...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat