Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vpcf21z1e/b

profile.country.en_GB.title
shortyno69
Visitor

sony vaio vpcf21z1e/b

hi

very disapointed with sony regarding this laptop the proble i have is

i bought this from comet back in august this year and after a couple of weeks noticed it was locking up on heavy programs now if you look up the spec on this laptop it shows i7 with 8gb of ram but after a bit of investigation noticed on 2gb showing up so got in touch with comet and they tell me that first year warranty is with sony, contacted them and they then organise courier to collect get a call back saying there is nothing wrong with vaio as there is only 2gb installed and the laptop working fine.

after many phone calls to the customer service explaining there should be 8gb they keep telling me go back to comet but as eveybody knows comet under recievership and they will not do anything as they say sony's problem now i told sony put 8gb of ram and i will pay as if i open it up my warranty will be void tried to tell them i7 with 64 bit windows and 2gb of ram wouldnt fucntion well where do i go now i don't know but will not be buyng and more sony product in future i thought buy sony and you buy quality and good service not any more

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi shortyno69 and welcome.

As you say, this model is shipped with 8GB (4GB+4GB) RAM.

Was the box sealed when you bought the Vaio?  One explanation may be that someone took the modules out at Comet.  It is possible that a mistake was made at the factory but if the box was open, or the Vaio used for display purposes then this is the less likely cause.

Have you asked Sony to put 8GB in?  The reason I ask is that Sony are fairly expensive for parts and they don't actually make their own memory.  I'm sure you can buy memory of equal quality much cheaper elsewhere.  The full 8GB kit costs £29.99 from Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VPCF21Z1E&Cat=RAM

Many of us here have happily bought from Crucial who offer a full compatibility guarantee.

You would not void your Warranty by upgrading the memory.  It is fairly simple to add/replace memory modules and Sony provide detailed instructions on Pages 105 to 109 of your user guide here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/VPCF21/F21_H_EN.pdf

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
shortyno69
Visitor

hi

the problem was it was a ex display it make me think comet has taken the memory  but the annoying bit is sony wouldnt try and sort it out and i offered to pay for the memory so i could get the system as it should be

thanks