Join now - be part of our community!

Recent Sophos glitch affected my VAIO Care autoupdate

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
disvist79
Visitor

Recent Sophos glitch affected my VAIO Care autoupdate

The recent Sophos glitch associated with false positive identification of ALL updating programmes as viruses - is over now, and my Sophos antivirus is working fine again. However, it seems that it managed to delete the SelfHealUpdate.exe file, which, I understand, is a part of VAIO Care. As a result, I keep getting an error pop-up message saying that Windows cannot find the file. Could you please advise me on what can be done about this? If VAIO Care should be re-installed - am I entitled for an installation file?

Message was edited by: disvist79

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dimitri,

Try uninstalling/reinstalling Vaio Care with your antivirus disabled.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi disvist79,

Can you please let us know your Vaio model?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
disvist79
Visitor

it is VPCZ21V9E

Serial number (S/N):  *27546952 50******

Would this be sufficient?

Message was edited by: rich912

Edited to mask serial number.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You can download the original Vaio Care utility from the following link.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCZ21V9E_B/updates

There is also an update available from the same link.- 6.4.2.11150

It may be necessary to uninstall Vaio Care via Control Panel first.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
disvist79
Visitor

Thanks, Rich,

I have uninstalled Vaio Care and then installed it again by following your link ( 6.4.2.11150). After restart, Vaio Care would start all right, but if I go to Diahgnostics/Software and click on the Self Heal link - I got the same error message that SelfHealUpdate.exe cannot be foud. What that migth mean?

Dimitri

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dimitri,

I don’t have a model with the Vaio Care utility but I will ask another member who does for the location of SelfHealUpdate.exe.

In the meantime can you try a search for the file just in case it is there but being blocked from starting for some reason > Click ‘Start’ and type ‘SelfHealUpdate.exe’ in the search dialogue box – this may take some time.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
disvist79
Visitor

Been there, done that - nothing. Just in my email in Outlook asking about the problem.

By the way, it looks strange but my Vaio Gate is gone: touching the upper border of screen does not bring the popping up shortcauts, neither I can see it in the Programs. I am wondering now if I uninstalled it and not Vaio Care??? This, howeve similar in length these two names are, is unlikely since I remember looking in programs for Vaio Care after the uninstall and, to my satisfaction, I did not see it.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I don’t think that SelfHealUpdate.exe is part of the Vaio Gate utility but see whether there is the option to reinstall Vaio Gate via Vaio Recovery Center > Reinstall Programs or Drivers.

Then uninstall Vaio Care, plus the update if listed, and reinstall the original version from the link provided and check whether it is working prior to installing the update.

If this still fails to work then repeat the procedure with your anti virus disabled.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Blencogo has kindly provided the following information:

I have the following files in-
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care\
SelfHeal.dll
SelfHealUpdate.exe
SelfHealUpdate.exe.config

Can you please check whether any of the files are present at this location?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
disvist79
Visitor

Thanks, will do.

DImitri