Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery CD won't recover (individual apps)

earthling0001
Visitor

Recovery CD won't recover (individual apps)

When I use the Recovery CD and choose the option to restore individual applications (I need to restore Giga Pocket), I get this error window appear with a red 'X':

"Cannot get the information required for installation"

The same happens when I try to restore all applications.

If I go to Start>Programs>Sony Vaio>Vaio System Info, no entries appear in the info.

Apparently my PC has forgotten it's a Vaio.

Please understand, I don't want to do a clean installation and lose days worth of settings, when just a registry modification would restore this data. Please tell me where to re-enter the info the recovery CD is looking for.

20 REPLIES 20
crap
Visitor

First i must say i do not know the answer to this problem - BUT with all the recovery cd that i have seen you can only use to "recover" back to factory position.

You do not have the same control with these "Micky mouse" CD that you have with the genuine original media.

I repeat i have no knowledge of this particular program.

chuckalicious
Visitor

Crap, what was the point of that post?
I actually thought I'd answered this, but maybe I was going to and forgot!
My inital response was I was not aware you could restore individual apps, but assuming the option is there, it should work. I will give it a try on my own machine to see what happens and let you know

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Chuck,

It's on newer models only.

robpaxton
Explorer

I think that reinstalling all of the Sony Shared Libraries and Sony Utilities should sort out the problem.

chuckalicious
Visitor

And who said mine wasn't a new model??? :smileygrin:

earthling0001
Visitor

I think that reinstalling all of the Sony Shared Libraries and Sony Utilities should sort out the problem.

Unfortunately it won't let me, for the same reason. I seem to be missing whatever part of the registry or whatever file, that tells the recovery CD that my Vaio is a Vaio.

Now if only someone out there could have a look at their VAIO System Information utility, then search their registry for one of the items of info it shows and let me have a little export file to import :wink:

robpaxton
Explorer

The Sony Shared Libraries are the routines that identify your Sony as a Sony

earthling0001
Visitor

Trouble is I can't reinstall them. Furthermore I'm not sure that's quite right, as one bit of info missing from VAIO System Information is my PC's serial number. How would the recovery CD libraries know my individual serial number? It must be something in the registry?

robpaxton
Explorer

It's coded into the BIOS