Join now - be part of our community!

Replacement HDD PCV RS704

SOLVED
PCVRS704
Explorer

Replacement HDD PCV RS704

Hi

I need to replace the hdd on this legacy system and have a replacement hdd lined up with the recovery cd's as well.

Will I encounter any issues with a different HDD than what was supplied from factory?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Check that this isn't an AF drive with 512 emulation (512e) but 4K physical sectors. 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

PCVRS704
Explorer

Update

Installation went ok.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi,

The original HDD in this machine would have 512-bytes per sector. Newer Advanced Format drives have 4096-bytes per sector. The Advanced Format drive will work in this machine but the recovery disks will not work due to the difference in sector size. Check with your supplier that you are being supplied with a drive having 512-bytes per sector.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
PCVRS704
Explorer

Rich912

Thanks, I will check to see if this is an option with reformatting.

I also have an XP SP2 disc, I could use this with the serial key and update the drivers manually?

EDIT - Just seen 4K isn't officially compatible with XP, however the WD drive I have is default 512 bytes per sector.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Check that this isn't an AF drive with 512 emulation (512e) but 4K physical sectors. 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
PCVRS704
Explorer

Update

Installation went ok.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Delighted  to hear that the installation has succeeded .

For the benefit of other members that may possibly search this problem can you please provide details of measures taken to achieve a successful install?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat