Join now - be part of our community!

resizing C partition on new machine SZ3XW

vaioport
Visitor

resizing C partition on new machine SZ3XW

hi, got a new core due processor vaio yesterday. the C partition is a whopping 46 gig and the D partition only 38 gig....do i really need 46 gig in C for optimum performance? my normal procedure is to keep all files/work etc. in D drive and keep C only for the operating system and programs...can i resize the C partition to say, 20 gig using the Computer Management tool in the Administrative Tools set of XP? Don't have partition magic. Also, will recovery partition be useless if i do this? after all it thinks i have a C partition of 46 gig in size...can i resize the c partition without losing windows? thanks :smileygrin:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi vaioport,

welcome to Club Vaio. :slight_smile:

The Sony way is to use the Vaio recovery tool and at no 10 select C & D Recovery (Change Partition size)..
However all the data on your hard drive(s) will be removed and then your Vaio will be recovered back to the factory settings..

The other option is to use a third party program something like Paragon partition managerwhich should allow you to resize partitions without data loss...

Which ever way use choose it's important to back up all important data first.. :wink:

vaioport
Visitor

thanks - not much data as yet so i'll try it. but i just tried to burn a cd and then tried a dvd with some movie maker recordings and got errors both in the transfer process of a 31mb file to temporary storage for burning (that is, an operating system message) and then error messages when i tried to burn cds and dvds...using the windows burner..

is there a problem with the sz3xw burner? i only bought the laptop yesterday...windows was preinstalled by the sony vendor and i haven't touched any settings yet...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile:

Have you tried burning a disc using Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7..?

vaioport
Visitor

yes - and tried a few other things. in regedit cd drive was set to 1 apparently, read only, but also my formatted storage, external usb hard drive, isn't coming up in the drives list in explorer when i plug it in, though the light's on in the drive. looks like windows wasnt set up very well on the vaio. i have no way of copying files either to cd, dvd, usb or even ftp - the os itself doesnt seem to like to copy those wmv files though they play fine on the computer. hmm..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Have you tried burning your Recovery disc's, here is a guide on the procedure..